MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Squash Help

The local sheriffs office had a veggie giveaway this morning. I now have one grocery bag of zucchini and one of yellow squash. There are 4 zucs and 4 yellows that is how big they are. I have a food processor, a Vitamix, and BWB and pressure canners. Any ideas on how to prepare and use pints of squash? (no room in the freezer)

Pressure Can Only

Wash, trim ends, but do not peel. Cut in 1/2-inch slices; halve or quarter the slices to make the pieces uniform.

Cover with boiling water, bring to a boil. Drain, saving the hot cooking liquid for processing.

Pack hot squash loosely, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom. Top with cooking water with 1/2 inch headroom; add optional salt. Pressure-process pints for 30 minutes, quarts for 40 minutes. (I'm assuming at 10 pounds)

Source: Putting Foods By Authors: Janet Greene, Ruth Herzberg, Beatrice Vaughan.

I have some sliced zuchs in the dehydrator right now. They're significantly smaller than yours! I'll let you know how they turn out.

I usually preserve our extras by grating them fresh and then freezing in premeasured baggies for bread. But I can relate to being out of freezer space!

Good Luck!

ZUCCHINI CRISP – Fake Apple Crisp

4 to 5 cups zucchini – peeled, seeded, quartered, and sliced

½ cup white sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1-½ teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon cloves

¼ teaspoon ginger

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1 Tablespoon water

¼ cup milk

TOPPING

1 cup flour

½ cup brown sugar

½ teaspoon cinnamon

1 stick (½ cup) margarine OR butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Put sliced zucchini in large bowl. Set aside.

Stir together: White sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, lemon juice, water, and milk.

Combine zucchini and sugar/spice mixture. Pour into 1-½ quart rectangular Pyrex dish OR 9-inch square Pyrex dish.

TOPPING

Mix flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Use pastry blender OR food processor to cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle over zucchini.

Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes.

Zucchini Pie--Mock Apple Pie

INGREDIENTS:

6 c. zucchini

1 1/2 t. cream of tartar

1/4 t. salt

3 T. flour

1 T. lemon juice

1/4 t. nutmeg

1 1/4 c. sugar

1 1/2 t. cinnamon

1 t. margarine

unbaked pie shell

TOPPING:

1 stick margarine, softened

1 1/2 c. sugar

1 c. flour

INSTRUCTIONS:

Peel zucchini-cut lengthwise & scrap out seeds.

Slice to resemble apple slices

Cook for 10 min. Drain

Mix cream of tartar, salt, flour, lemon juice, nutmeg, sugar & cinnamon.

Add to cooked zucchini

Pour into unbaked pie shell.

TOPPING:

Mix topping ing. To resemble crumbs. Spread over top of zucchini.

Bake 375: 45 min.-1 hr.

Zucchini Relish

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped zucchini (about 3 medium)

1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)

1/2 cup chopped sweet green pepper (1 small)

1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper (1 small)

2 Tablespoons salt

1 3/4 cup sugar

1 cup cider vinegar

2 teaspoons celery seed

1 teaspoon mustard seed

Combine Zucchini, onion, green and red peppers; sprinkle with salt; cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly. Combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Add vegetables; simmer 10 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner. Yield: about 4 half-pints.

make pickles

cut in half and fill with meatloaf cover with Spaghetti sauce, bake.

dehydrate and make chips out of them.

All great ideas. Still have zucchini pickles and relish from last year, but had not even thought of chips. We cut one in half lengthwise, covered it with oregano, terragon, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese. Then put butter and shredded cheese in the cavity (where the seeds were) and baked the 2 halves. The 3 of us ate one half and have the other in the fridge. May can some in pineapple juice to make "mock pineapple" tho we do not use a lot of pineapple around here. Thanks a lot, girls.

Archived