MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Preservation And Life In the Mountains in 1920's

mrsrustyrooster

When I was little, and growing up in those mountains, my mother worked, and whien she was at work I stayed with my grandmother. (My Dad died when I was 5)

She was a "healer" and would take me for walks and show me how to find gingseng and which roots and berries and leaves to use for certain teas and curatives.

I was young and never wrote any of this down. I so wish I had. She had great stories of mountain life and was a wealth of information.

I recommend that every one does what Stephanie is going to do, and find that older person and record their stories.

The Foxfire books are a good source of information on all aspects of life back then.

Let's face it - I'm not sure you are "older and have more insurance" than me! You just might have more insurance though - anyhow, this is a great site - thanks so much! Always good to hear about the old ways, my DH and I wonder (often) what would happen if a depression hit us now (it's not impossible you know!) with all the kids and young families who are used to having so much handed to them and to the "instant gratification" thing....makes you wonder.

Pansy, Older and more insurance is a line from the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, when the stay at home wife begins to "find herself" and runs her car into some sassy young things car who took her parking space. Good movie.

You're right, it is good to know how things were done back then, ya never know.

I'm 50 yrs old by the way.. soon to be 51

• 1 month later...

What a wonderful site, and a great thread. All my grandparents were gone by the time I was 10 and the only time I got to spend time with any of them was once a year when we would go visit. I sincerely wish I could have known them better and gotten to know what they know. Hopefully someday when I have grandkids they will get to know the things I know. Maybe we should all consider writing down what life was like for us as we were growing up, so our kids and grandkids will have it. After all none of us are garanteed tomorrow, and I have a wealth of information, not the same as my grandparents, but a lot of things I like them to know nonetheless. What do all of you think of that idea?

Actually Mystic, I think it's a wonderful idea...I know that I keep meaning to ask my mom about the history that she learned about her parents and grandparents, so that I can tell the stories to my children.

Well, since DH does not like movies and we haven't gone to one in so long I barely remember - oh yes, took grandson to see THE SANTA CLAUS - the first one, and he is 22 now. You are a child! I turned 74 this past month and DH will be 75 next week, but we are doing good for the shape we are in! In any event, I have posted in other places about prepping, and was thrilled to have DH say he is "thinking" about a new generator, caused by the economic newsletters we read, but he is not in the hurry I am, so am hoping he will get motivated to get this purchase made. Fortunately our house is set up with a Gen Tran so all my DH has to do is go out and plug something in and something out - I know, I know, I need to know how to do this myself - another project for the to-do list. Anyhow, I am rambling but to get back to the point - knowing the "old" ways is a great comfort to me and only wish I too, had paid more attention to the grandparents! Too late we learn (sometimes!)

• 2 weeks later...

What a great article!

I'm spoiled. Three to four days a week, an almost 95 year old friend rides home with us to her country home. (She still works 3-5 days a week doing work with electron microscopy with my DH.) I have been able to pick her brain and hear her stories.

For instance, during the Spanish Flu pandemic, her entire family left town in the late summer/early fall of 1918 to escape the disease. As was common, they were almost self-sufficient so they did not suffer during their confinement. Not a single member of their family became ill.

We also share tales and a love of canning and preserving. She shares her crops of figs and plums with me. I give her jams, jellies, pickles, and sauerkruat in return.

If y'all have any questions you would like me to ask her, I'm sure she would be flattered!

Archived