MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is there any way I can save this corn? and beans? and berries?

We purchased a deep freeze at an auction this weekend for $60. It is large and it works like a charm. It is half full with vegetables and fruits. It belonged to a little old lady who passed away. I have several bags of corn that looks like it has already been cooked. (It's off the cob.) Those bags are fine, as a matter of fact I fixed one with tonight's supper and it tasted great. But here's my problem. I probably have at least 20 bags of corn on the cob. There is alot of ice on them. Some of them just have a, well, and old look to them. I'm not convinced that just boiling them will make them palatable. Should I throw them away? Or do you think I could thaw them, cut the corn off the cob and then cook with lots of butter, salt, pepper, etc... do you think that would work?

I just hate to waste so much food. There are a few bags of sliced squash that look really dried out. I'll probably toss those. There are several bags of black eyed peas that look like they have already been cooked and then frozen like the corn I used tonight. Those look good. But then there are some bags of beans that have not been cooked yet and there is alot of ice in those bags. Don't know if I should keep or toss. There are many bags of peeled, sliced peaches and strawberries. They look good. No ice in the bags. I may can those. There is one huge bag that looks to be a mixture of blackberries and raspberries. But it is just a brown paper bag. They are all stuck together in one huge lump and there is some ice. What do you think? Whatever fruit I can salvage I want to can. There was one lone little chicken. I bet the family took out all the meat before the auction.

Anyway,I really hope I don't have to toss too much. It would be such a waste.

Thats a good idea goatherder has. My aunt even cans odd bits of veggies, meat scraps, broth, etc all together - CLEARLY labels it (or you might get some less than amused family members) and puts it up for the pets. All veggie is good if you have dogs, cats need at least some meat or they will get sick. (Hence the meat scraps and broth) It makes a great add on to their diets and means you have a little more safely put away for your critters if things get tough.

I agree with goatherder, if it has ice on it, it wouldn't be good. Check for freezer burn on the other things too. If there is freezer burn, toss it out. Veggies, like goatherder said, add to a compost.

Archived