MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Pet Food

westbrook

Since I have so many dogs it is necessary for me to purchase dog food to store. I find storing can food takes up less space. So I was thinking why not can my own.

I am in the researching stage and will post what I find here.

If you all have any thoughts, ideas, recipes anything will help us all.

saving food scraps

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/petsanimals/a/dogfood.htm

Pretty much any mix consisting of 40% meat, 30% vegetables, and 20% starch, and 10% fat would be good. For really cold weather and/or hard working dogs, you might adjust the vegetable/fat ratio a bit. Rice makes a good starch for dogs and prevents diarrhea. Organ meats are nutritious and cheap. Garlic is a good addition as dogs like it and it repels fleas. Make a thick stew and the doggies should be happy. You can also crush some doggie vitamins into it when served.

Raw is best - but intruder, I dunno, not being a prepper there may not be enough fat on em for healthy eating. Seriously though, westbroook, you may want to look for the book called:

"Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to

Natural Health for Dogs & Cats

It is most useful, and would be especially so for pet emergency/supplies. It is comprehensive, yet easy reading. The book covers everything we need to know regarding nutrition, including homemade foods and some special needs diets, and has a quick reference section (even includes Radiation Toxicity)covering most illnesses/problems.

Special Guides (with additional recipes) and tables make the book a ready reference. There are even vegetarian recipies for pets which may be a good long term storage as oposed to canning wet, meat based products. The book mostly stresses "raw as being best" but I do see some baked meat based loaves.

Archived