MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Day After...

MommyofSeven

Sounds like yesterday was a whirlwind for everyone.

We were pretty laid back for my birthday. The kids got me keychains for the new truck, and a set of knives. DH is getting me a good rolling pin but I get to pick it out, so I don't have that yet.

I worked on our budget yesterday. It ain't pretty. But we are committed to getting out of debt, and that will entail some sacrificing. We are pulling credit reports because one of the bills I got was from AT&T Broadband. I have never had broadband service in my life, so...

Until DH gets another job, we had to cut the grocery budget down to $200/month. That just kills me because it really cuts down on our preps. But, when we get our IRS refund, the majority of it will go for foodstuffs. So that will really help alot. But if it means we can buy a house sooner, then that's OK.

My neighbors that just lost their baby, his dad died day before yesterday. He was up to Denver for a conference and didn't have any contact info on him so they didn't find out until yesterday afternoon. I told DH to plan on going and sitting with them for awhile this evening. I would go but she still won't look at me, and I don't want to cause her more pain, certainly not right now. I'll go to the service to pay my respects but not to anything after.

OK this is a question that has been bugging me...when do you take food to the family? Do you take it with you after the funeral service, when everyone goes to the house, or do you bring it separately? Can you take it to any family member, or to the main house? No one really brought food for my dad (most of the funeral attendees were working class families who took time off work to come and didn't come back to the house), and growing up I don't recall going to funerals except my great grandparents, and I think I was 5 then. So I have no idea what the etiquette for that is. I think I'll send a chicken and stuffing casserole over, that feeds lots and freezes easily.

OK, I think that's it for today.

Mo7

Snowmom,

I'm not worried about her not wanting to deal with me yet. I'd bet that the grief over losing her son is still pretty raw, and I can understand that. Heck, it upset ME for weeks and it wasn't my baby. I just want to be available for help when needed, without being obtrusive to her at this time. We are going to offer to babysit kidlets for the service as well, oldest DD will be here with my tribe, and having a few others (I don't think they have any tiny babies) won't hurt.

I'm thinking bbq chicken and potato salad. the chicken can be easily reheated and the potatoes will be easy. I'll go buy some buns so they don't have to worry about that.

Mo7

Mo7

have a good evening!

Archived