MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sinus Rinses

TheCG

I know sinus rinses were being discussed in another thread. I have a neti pot, but I detest it as it's difficult for me to get the right angle.

I use one of these instead: http://www.unimedprod.com/

You can get them at Walgreen's (about $15 for the bottle and 50 packets), you don't have to get a perfect angle (just look down a little), they sell pre-measured packets (although you can also do your own), and I don't have to wonder what happens if I drop it...

Neti pots?

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE my NeilMed!

I got a wicked sinus infection a month ago and am just now finishing up a triple course of antibiotics. I finally went to my allergist after my GP wouldn't prescribe stronger meds. He told me to do a sinus rinse. I had been using a Neti pot and, like you, find it really difficult to use. My doctor told me that the NeilMed was like a firehose compared to the garden hose Neti pot.

Sure enough, it works great and is easy to use. You just fill the thingy with warm water mixed with the salt/baking soda solution and squeeze the bottle into one nostril and then the other. I then gently blow my nose. Per the instructions, I then take off the lid and pour some of the remaining liquid into my hand. I then inhale this solution. This process cleans out additional sinus cavities. In the past, I've tried to inhale water to relieve the dryness in my nostrils but it burned like crazy. What I didn't know was if you add the baking soda and salt, the solution doesn't sting! Learn something new every day!

The ONLY downside is that if you really plugged up, the solution can get delayed in the sinus cavities resulting in a sudden gusher if you should bend over. I resolved this by laying on my bed for a few minutes with my head over the edge. Any excess water will come out fairly quickly.

The NeilMed gets two thumbs up from me! Kaiser has now shifted from stocking the Neti pots to this NeilMed system and I can see why!

That is good to know. Wish I had known it was that good because a few months ago Rite Aid had it free with rebate ! I will watch to see if they repeat the offer again.

I have something like a giant syringe called a Nasalene that I use. I also find the same problem with the gushing when I bend over.

I have been doing the sinus washes for years. I use a pint of warm water, 1 tsp. each baking soda and canning salt. The canning salt doesn't have any anticaking agents or anything added to it, unlike regular salt. One of my doctors also says to add a tsp. white corn syrup. I leave it out, though. I guess the saline mix is basically the same as your natural secretions, so that is why it doesn't burn.

Glad you found some help !

Quote:
...A friend of mine has minor sinus problems and she swears by the little spray dispenser called "Ocean". It is a saline solution that helps her prevent a big sinus problem.

She should try the NeilMed. Have her read this information which points out the difference between the NeilMed lavage and other products. Ocean is good for moisturizing the sinuses but not for cleaning.

As I posted elsewhere, Big Lots has these kits for $5.00. Kaiser is selling them for about $12-13.00.

Archived