MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

cooking with canned foods

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I'd set up to capture some 'spook yeast" by putting a flour water mixture out on countertop until it fermented & got bubbly. Voila, hom made sourdough (sans yeast). Then to making bread. Austere bread, true, but it would make with just flour, water, sugar & spook yeast.

OK, now drain that chicken soup and extend the liquid with water, then thicken into gravy. Put noodles & solids back in, pour overslice of homemade bread. My man will eat anything with gravy and homemade bread.

Then I'd take more of that spook yeast, and make pancakes for breakfast. Brown that sugar in a cast iron fry pan real good, then add a little water to make syrup.

Chicken soup again, separate the solids from the broth. Make gravy as above with broth. Puree solids. Cook some foraged wild greens. Make up

layers of bread, greens, pureed soup solids, bread, greens, solids, etc. Pour gravy over. Bake. Kind of like a wierd lasagna, or a demented strata.

Sandwiches of extremely thick gravy, this time incorporating the soup totally and thickening really thick (like for croquettes).

Make extra noodles, thicken the soup, make a mess of chicken 'slurp'.

Toast some of that bread. Cut in cubes, toast up hard. Use soup to make a gravy for scalloped bread.

Toast more bread, and melt down some sugar into syrup in the fry pan. Dip toast in syrup, both sides. Sloppy but good.

Bout this time I'd be fishing (I live near very large lake) for variety. Me & everybody else, but I'd be (gasp) cheating and using float lines, plus I have carp recipes so Im not picky about what fish I get. If it swims, its dinner! Ditto with my live traps...

• 2 weeks later...

I tired a new one today...totally out of preps.

I was doing some rotating and saw some tomato soup that needed to be eaten...so it was the victim of my experiments! B)

First I made up some powdered milk, poured it in the pan and turned on low heat.

Second I added the dehydrated vegies and seasonings to begin to re-hydrate -

I used Spinach, Onions, Bellpeppers, chicken boullion and Tony Cachere's seasoning.

Then I emptied in a can of Tomato Soup, heated and served. Surprisingly good.

Sorry about the lack of measurements, but that's how I cook.

I got the idea from this recipe and then 'made it my own'

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recipedetai...LastIndex=false

There are some pretty nifty recipes at that Campbells site...include Tomato Spice Muffins!! Now, that sounds interesting!! Take a look, it would be VERY prepper friendly and got 5***** ratings? I may need to pick up a spice cake mix. ;)

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/recipedetai...LastIndex=false

I made this recently when I was trying to figure out something to do with canned ground beef.

Dirty Rice - from the pantry

2 pints home canned hamburger patties in broth

dehydrated peas, carrots, onion, bell peppers

1 cup rice, uncooked

Creole seasoning, garlic powder, Greek seasoning

Heat a large skillet over med heat. Open canned burger and scoop fat off top and place in skillet. Drain burger reserving the liquid. Brown burger, season to taste. Stir in dehydrated veggies and uncooked rice.

Add reserved liquid, if necessary add enough water to make two cups of liquid.

Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 mins or until rice is cooked.

Yum!

Archived