MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Has Anyone Canned Strawberries?

mom11

You're very welcome. Do tell how they turn. We'll be going in May again to pick strawberries. Last year we made jam and munched on them (OH so yummy!!!). I froze the rest in 1-cup portions. It took me 3 days to work on them and sadly I had to throw a good number away. But the jam was YUMMY!!! And I just used my last bag off rozen last week to make strawberry banana bread. Hehe!!! I think I might try a few dried as well. I bet those would fair better in the bread.

I have never canned them because I have jars upon jars of them from someone else! they are great! a bit soft so try to do them not so ripe.. add a bit of red food coloring.

Well!!!!!

Not doing this again...Two flats of strawberries.....Minus 2 pints I gave my sick neighbor....Amounted to only 6 quarts of canned strawberries.....GOLD STRAWBERRIES...Almost $50....UGH!!! I'll save them for some dreary day, a long time away from strawberry season and make some shortcake out of them.... I could have bought over three big boxes of apples out of these and end up with dozens of jars of applesauce and pie filling. I will buy some more next week and dry and freeze them.... It was fun though! Thanks!!!!

Oh No! Don't be sorry! I'm growing strawberries and once they are free and not costing me so much $$$$$, I'm sure I will can more. As far as paying for fruit to can....Probably would be a lot more economical to stick to peaches and apples...But still wanted some variety to add to them....I appreciate your time in posting the recipe and my chicks will appreciate the strawberry shortcake, some miserably cold day or when we are SIP!!! Thank You!!!!!

Archived