MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Long before it Spoils?

Hello, this is my first post...

Do you know why the fsis.usda.gov site would say "Also, discard ... home canned foods if they have come in contact with flood water, because they cannot be effectively cleaned and sanitized."?

It seems to me that you could easily reboil them (to kill germs) in your canner.

• 2 years later...

I think I found the answer to my question...

Why CAN'T you just reprocess them to sterilize the outsides? They want you just to bleach the commercial ones... Is it something to do with the lids?

The site goes on to say:

"Food containers that are not waterproof include those with screw-caps, snap lids, pull tops, and crimped caps."

Is that the answer?

I think you have to use your own judgment as to whether the food is safe or not. If the jar is still sealed, wash it on the outside with soap and water with a little bleach. Obviously if the jar is cracked or the seal is broken you won't want to eat the food.

IMHO sometimes these agencies go a little too far with their caution. I understand that it is because too many people don't use much horse sense when they are dealing with food.

Personally, there is a lot of stuff I flat don't eat because it isn't safe and some of it is sitting in the grocery being sold as "food". No way would I ever eat a hot dog or cold cuts as too much is contaminated with listeria and who knows what else.

Again, when the gov says food is safe for a certain period of time, they cannot take into account all variables. For instance, in winter, I can cook a pot of rice and leave it covered on the counter all day, but in summer I better get it in the fridge "toot sweet" or it will be spoiled in an hour or two.

Archived