MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coming clean

rootdiggr

Hi, I am Kathy, and I am a genealog-holic. Any enablers out there?

Most of my research has focused on Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the Mid-West. I have not done very much overseas research as of yet. There is still so much to find in this country!!!

The main lines that I am researching are: Buhler, Chaffin, Coard, Fauver, Gillis, Hagan, Hartman, Hulse, Hurt, Jackson, Jordan, Lehman/Layman, McCarty, McDougal, Shelly, Triggs.

I live in the Norfolk area of Virginia, so if anybody needs some help in this location, let me know.

GoodMorningsparklepinkhat.gif again and WELCOMEBEAR.gif . smile

Oh yes, I am so an enabler. smile I could set here all day and I really should one of these days and get some work done with my FTM. I have several books that I have bought about different sides of our families and need to get it all typed in. smile

I have a great-great-grandfather as well as others from Ohio. He was born in KY and went to OH. then from there to IN. smile

Jones, Lee, Gugin, Clark, Eldridge, Bartlett, these are just a few names I am looking up. I just can't name them all right now. smile

So, yes, I am an enabler. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

Zzelle, here is the post about starting genealogy, it says it is by logcabinmamma, but, it is one I put in. smile She took over my posts when we did the updating on the site. smile Well, she didn't really take them over, it is just that her name is on all of my posts before that date. smile

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...age=1#Post36734

I hope that works for you.

I tell you, once you start, you will be so wanting all the information you can get your hands on. smile

First off you may want some sheets, and that I think is in that post too. I just checked and here is the post for charts. smile

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...age=1#Post35527

But, here are the sites:

http://broadcasting.byu.edu/ancestors/charts/

http://www.ancestry.com/save/charts/ancchart.htm

Start from you and work your way backwards. Oh you will get so involved in this that you will wonder where the time is going. smile

I've been involved for about 35 years now at least. smilethGR5FGirly5FHugs.jpg

zzelle

Don't do it!!! I cannot believe nobody is warning you how addictive it is. I know you think that it is just filling out a few forms and looking at some pictures!! HAH!! Before you know it you will be calling strangers whose phone # you found in an out-of-state phone book, to see if they are descended from your great-uncle Marvin who disappeared 75 years ago, heaven knows where. You will be on the computer until all hours, saying "But I think I have a lead on ggmother Annie's family". "Just 5 more minutes, really." The dishes and laundry will pile up, the dust will be so thick that you won't need to find a pen and paper to take a phone message, and your family will be living on fast-food. (OK, my home was like that BEFORE genealogy, but still ....).

Really, while you still have a chance, put down the Pedigree Chart, tear up Aunt Bessie's phone number, and be grateful for your escape.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Such a good warning. smile

I know just what you mean too. smile It really causes you to be on line soooooo long and so much, you just can't get enough. smile

I have found several cousins from the internet, myself and there are so many ways to find them. smile

rootsweb.com and usgenweb.com is another. smile

Once you get started, everything else will come to a stop. smilethGR5FGirly5FHugs.jpg

I know that is what would happen to me too, so I have never had a membership there. I haven't even felt I could take the time for the 14 days of free.

One of these days I will have to give in and do it though. There are so many loose ends in the families and I think there could be answers in there. haveniceday

Addictive? Now who says it's addictive? Just because I can leave my house at 8AM and drive for an hour and spend 5-6 hours in graveyards taking pictures of grave stone and talking to pastors to find links to my tree and never know where the time goes doesn't mean it's addictive. Meeting with total strangers with one of my surnames and talking to them with a taperecorder for hours to learn about people in my tree, that doesn't mean it's addictive, does it? You are lucky, there has been no one on my tree that I've found on line. I'm researching a tree where the people didn't believe in letting the cencus takers get their names. Could it be because one was a cattle russler and a few others had their own moonshine stills? I've got a tree full of interesting characters, so far I've found 3 loops in my husbands tree where a man on his fathers side married a woman from his mothers side. My house looks like a whirl wind hit it, there are piles of paperwork for my tree everywhere. I've tried to put them in notebooks, but I'm constantly having to add notes. I've learned to write down all stories, because I've found out that they're not just stories, 3 out of 4 are true. Addictive, yeah, I guess it is. I just found out that my nephew is best friends with another branch of my tree laugh I find that darndest things in the strangest places.

clapclapsmilierahrahyaketyyak

See, even Karen is addected to this. smile

About graveyards, it is really something when you take a vacation and all you do is go to the grave yards and court houses, well that is what we did in 2001. smile

Yes, it is so easy to get addicted to genealogy. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

LOL Karen. Your family bit like mine. Scoundrels grin. Few years ago county printed small history book of the various communites and since gg-grandfather founded one he was mentioned. Seems ma was having a baby and pa left to fetch the country doc. He returned seven years later. No record of what he was doing during that time. Family rumors of more relatives in Ark but wouldn't know where to start to looking frown

Man, if we are talking about things like this, take a look at this place. smile

http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Enwa/sm.html This is about my 8th or whatever greatgrandmother. But if you read about things later on, like just a few years ago, she was exonerated, at last. Sure was a sad thing these little girls did. frown

Then there is this one, we are suppose to be related to him too. smilehttp://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/resources/...auto/w67bb0.htm As well as Robert E. Lee, but we just can't find the connection with Lee. frown

Then one of Old Pines very distant cousins rode with the Dalton gang. smile Oh yes, I'm sure if just about everyone around looked hard enough they would find something in the long ago past. smile

Hey at least yours were put in the history books. My husbands grandfather was the caretaker for a big farm near here for 20 years, raised his 12 kids there and when the book came out of the history of the farm they weren't even mentioned! They lived in a little shack in the rear of the main house and he did all the maintenance and kept the farm producing. It has his whole line so mad they could spit nails. Their grandfather built the back porch with the help of 3 of his sons on leave from the service. All I can figure is that the writters knew that grandpa also ran moonshine made in a still in the back woods, but he was never caught.Go figure.

Archived