MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Has anyone ever made chipped beef ?

I like the Hormel brand in the little jars, but they're SO expensive.

From the Hormel website:

Chipped Beef-- Thinly sliced beef that has been smoked, salt cured, and then cut into round or rectangular slices. It is most often served as either an appetizer to complement crackers and baked goods, or as a meat ingredient for beef and gravy dishes, such as Chipped Beef and gravy. This product is also referred to as Dried Beef.

dried_beef.jpg

I think I answered my own question... Does this sound about right to anyone?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/...ion/DJ0972.html

Corning. Boneless brisket, plate, chuck, of beef usually are used for corning. For each 10 lbs of meat dissolve in 0.4 gals of water, 0.8 lbs of salt, 0.3 lbs of sugar, 0.4 oz of baking soda, 0.3 oz of sodium nitrate, and .025 oz of sodium nitrite (5-1/2 tbsp of a curing salt containing 0.5 percent sodium nitrate and 0.5 percent sodium nitrite may be used as replacement for the salt, sodium nitrate, and sodium nitrite if you are unable to obtain pure sodium nitrate and pure sodium nitrite). A good color can be secured by using 0.4 oz of cream of tartar instead of the sodium nitrate. Garlic and pickling spices (cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, and thyme) may be added in varying amounts if more flavor is desired.

Place the meat in a stone crock or wooden tub (do not use metal containers that will corrode). Put the chilled curing ingredients in the container in sufficient quantities to cover the meat. If using garlic and pickling spices, add them, stir, and weight the meat with a board upon which a nonmetal weight can be placed. If the cut meats are not more than 3 inches thick in the thickest part, they will cure in approximately 12 to 14 days.

Dried Beef. Top round, bottom round, and sirloin tip (knuckles) are commonly used to prepare dried beef. Dried beef is similar to corned beef except (1) dried beef is made from the muscles of the round, whereas corned beef usually is made from the brisket; (2) the dried beef curing mixture contains an extra 1/10 lb sugar but not the baking soda, garlic, cloves, etc.; and (3) dried beef, unlike corned beef, is hung to dry for 24 hours and then given a light or heavy smoke in the smokehouse.

Dried beef may be prepared using a straight dry cure using the same salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, and sodium nitrite combination described in the corned beef section. When dry curing dried beef, apply 1 to 1-1/2 oz of the dry cure to each pound of meat. Approximately two rubbings at three to five day intervals are necessary. Check the curing vessel daily and if self-formed brine accumulates in the curing vessel, remove this excess brine because pieces resting in this brine will become salty.

You mean to make something LIKE dried beef, right?

I was reading a recipe for "Dried Beef" last weekend, but do you think I could remember *where*? shrug

Life is hectic right now, but I'll keep looking. wink

EDITED:

Looks like it. I'll keep looking for mine, too, and we can compare. wink

Archived