MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing milk/cream/mayo

I have a question for all of you ladies who freeze meals. I just bought a wonderful cookbook for freezing meals, but a lot of the recipes call for milk, cream, or mayo. I thought this was a no-no. Am I wrong? Thanks for the help.

I was talking to my friend yesterday who lives in Kansas and she buys raw milk and she had too much and froze some of it. She needed milk the other day and decided to thaw some of that milk and she said it tasted great, just like real milk. She had been told not to do it because it would taste watery and only good for cooking, but she said this was good for drinking, which I just remembered that we were buying raw milk a couple of years ago and he was running short on milk and asked if we wanted some of the froze that he had stored and we bought it and it was fine. Might be something to do with raw with the cream still in it.

If the dairy products are cooked in, or mixed in well, you may definitely freeze them. If they are to be frozen separately for later addition, the mayo (along with cream cheese, sour cream) are a big NO-NO! Just keep those items in the fridge. Otherwise it's a go! Happy OAMC!

Milk is fine frozen. When I was in my teens, my Dad was stationed at a small radar site in Northern Minnesota. The milk in the Commissary was shipped in frozen, so that it would be safe by the time that it was sold. I have no idea why they did not contract with a local dairy for fresh milk, maybe because they did not sell too much.

I regularly freeze milk, as did my mother and grandmother. With prices so high, I buy extra when it's on sale - so we're talking plain, old store-bought milk. You have to remember to pour out some to allow room for expansion when it freezes. I get the same amount of time out of frozen milk as I would have if it had gone straight into the fridge.

Kayla, why do you not recommend freezing cream cheese or sour cream? Does it cause some sort of problem? Hubby freezes them all the time and then uses them in his lasagna.

They are ok to cook into a dish, but they become grainy, and the texture is off. Sometimes they'll even separate and cannot be emulsified again. Cooking with them after fozen is fine (with the exception of cheesecake, sometimes it workes, sometimes it doesn't). But if you freeze sour cream, don't expect it to be creamy fresh sour cream (what an oxym, huh? LOL) on top of your tacos.

I see, gotcha. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a health concern I didn't know about.

We've cooked with the frozen ones for a couple of years now and never found any problem, but we would not try to use them 'raw' after freezing.

Thanks much. Leah

Archived