MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lomatium

Grubby

I need HELP!

I was going to make a "flu cocktail" but several of my herbs were on back order. Apperently this is going to be a very long back order that they canceled my order. Now I'm left with just this one!

I don't know how to use it! :shrug:

I did go and look it up. Here's what it says about it... Oh, it did go into the pandemic of 1917. Wow!

Historical or traditional use (may or may not be supported by scientific studies): Native Americans of many tribes reportedly used lomatium root to treat a wide variety of infections, particularly those affecting the lungs. 1 Lomatium was used, particularly in the southwestern United States, during the influenza pandemic of 1917 with reportedly good results.

Active constituents: According to obscure sources, lomatium is reputed to have antiviral effects. One source suggests the constituents tetronic acids and a glucoside of luteolin may be potentially antiviral.2 However, little is known about how these compounds act or if other ones might be as important.

How much is usually taken? Lomatium extracts with the resins removed (often called lomatium isolates), 1–3 ml per day, have been recommended. Lomatium tincture, 1–3 ml three times per day, can also be used, but it may cause a rash in susceptible people. The tincture should not be used unless a very small amount of it is first tested for a reaction. However, even very small amounts can cause a reaction in sensitive people.

Are there any side effects or interactions? Use of lomatium extracts or tinctures containing the resin (and possibly the coumarins) can, in some people, cause a whole-body rash.3 This herb may also lead to nausea in some people. The safety of lomatium during pregnancy and breast-feeding is unknown and is therefore not recommended.

I can't help you on this one Grubby as I've had not experience with it. Your information talks more about extracts or tinctures. Is yours the plain root? If it has antiviral properties I'd hope that there are being some studies done on it somewhere. Let us know what you find out.

((( )))

Ok.. here is what one of my books says.

This herb has a long history of use by Native Americans. Some research suggests that it is active against many types of viruses and bacteria. Because lomatium root tinctures have been associated with temporary, full-body rash, practitioners often use an isolate- an extract into either alcohol or glycerine that is specially processed to eliminate the rash causing resins.

Still looking up more information for you.. I hope this helps a bit.

I found this also:

Lomatium is available as an extract, as a tincture, and in capsule form. Fresh root extract in an alcohol solution is believed to be the most effective remedy.

Lomatium tea, an infusion, is made by pouring one cup of boiling water over 1–2 tsp. of the dried herb. The mixture is steeped for 25 minutes and then strained. Lomatium tea can be taken three times a day.

Lomatium contains a resin that can cause a painful rash in some people. To avoid this rash, people can use "lomatium isolates," which are extracts with the resins removed. The extract can be taken at a dosage of 1–3 ml each day. In tincture form, the daily dosage is generally 10–30 drops taken one to four times per day. Children who are ill with colds or flu can be given lomatium capsules.

It also has interaction warnings.

Lomatium has been reported to potentiate (intensify the effects of) two groups of drugs, anticoagulants (blood thinners) and immunostimulants (drugs given to boost the immune system).

Archived