MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pickled Fish (other than herring) or pickling meat

Does anyone have any good recipes for pickling fish?

I have pickled herring successfully, but herring is

very high in fat, and as a middle-aged male, i shouldn't

be scarfing up a lot of fat, even if does have omega-three

or any of those wonder substances.

I want to know what would be a good firm fish that would

stand up to pickling without falling apart, but isn't

fatty like herring. (I've tried flounder and sole, and they just fall apart.) Plus any tips on spices. I tend to use allspice and onions.

Another fatty food I dare not eat is pickled pig's feet,

though I suspect one could pickle some kind of lean pork

or what have you...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry no one has answered you. One year we caught a large number of large carp, and used a recipe for (I think) pickled eggs. That was about 30 years ago, afraid I don't remember the recipe. We did include slices of onion in the jars. Took one jar to a church potluck, and everyone scarfed it down (no leftovers). Then we told them what they had eaten. Most took it well LOL.

We made sure to stay clear of the "mud stripe", and cut the fillets into large strips, then packed them into the jars with onion, and topped up with vinegar and water, probably using pickling spice mix, as I remember peppercorns in the jars. We did keep the jars in the fridge after pressure canning them.

Thanks, I will file that information away. Not many carp up here in the Northern rainforest, but I do pickle eggs, so it give me encouragement.

I've been running constantly lately, so I haven't had time to look around. I'll try to find some time to look some things up.

bighug

Thanx :-)

Archived