MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tuesdays Dinner and cost per person

Beef Barley Vegetable Soup with tons of large chunks of veggies from summer and fall harvest.

Some crusty bread to dip into the soup.

For dessert some chilled peaches.

For Mr. Reci, Peaches and he has been a good boy so I made him some chocolate nut fudge brownies which he will have with a scoop of ice cream later on in the evening.

Total Price per meal;

Veggies were free from my brothers gardens.

Pieces of beef were left over from last nights dinner- 58 cents per serving,

Crusty bread was left from New Years- 4 cents a piece

Peaches were free- my sis bought me a bushel when they were in season that I did up

Brownie Mix- 69 cents a box at Aldi's grocery store-25 cents a serving.

Walnuts- a handful- 30 cents

A scoop of ice cream is about 28 cents per scoop of Aldi vanilla ice cream on sale.

All in all this meal cost about $ 1.20 cents per person.

I also froze half of the brownies and some soup that was leftover for another two meals.

When I don't have much meat left I love to make a good soup and bulk it up with veggies and pasta/barleys/or rice. For my beef I usually make it with barley and I always make extra to freeze for saturday afternoons or sunday evenings or anytime I don't feel like cooking.

I also try to nutritionally balance at least one meal a day besides Mr. Reci's lunch which I load with carrot sticks and celery plus fresh fruit besides his standard peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

He loves oatmeal for breakfast and I make him home made brownsugar and maple oatmeal and some juice for breakfast. He is not hard to please when it comes to eating.

Today...i'm cooking center cut pork roast. (another of my buy one get 2 free shopping specials--so i bought 3 large basically fat free/waste free roasts for $10.50......$3.50 each.....that to me is a great deal)

And i always have enough left over to make stuff like pork fried rice.....can't go wrong.

anyhew.....bakin that (with apples for a nice flavor)

baked potatoes....and sweet corn...

$3.50 pork....corn $.89....potatoes i dunno....not much (got em buy one 5lb bag..get 2 free....don't know what that breaks down to for a few potatoes.