MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A great BBQ ribs recipe

My wife has never cared for BBQ, especially ribs. We tried some of the better chain and local places and still she didn't care for them - either too smoky, or too sweet, or too "katchupy".

So, I developed the following recipe that she loves, and I hope you like it too - pretty easy, actually, and I think I wrote the recipe in such a way that even a novice can do it - in fact, I know that a novice can do it as I was a novice BBQ-er when I wrote it!

Haven't tried it with beef ribs though I don't see what it wouldn't work. The secret ingredient is the Maker's Mark bourbon and apple cider in the mop sauce - the caramelization is the key.

Enjoy!

Apple-Bourbon BBQ Ribs

Mop Sauce:

3 Tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup apple cider (good quality, thick with pulp is good)

3 Tablespoons Bourbon (good quality like Maker’s Mark)

3 Tablespoons soy sauce

Rub:

2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt or Sea Salt

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

2 Tablespoons Sweet Paprika

1 Tablespoon freshly ground Black Pepper

2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard Powder

2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder

½ Teaspoon Celery Seed

Ribs:

2 racks babyback pork ribs, 4-5 pounds total

1 ½ cups wood chips or chunks, preferably hickory or apple, soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

2 cups BBQ sauce (see additional recipe)

Sauce: In a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in cider, bourbon, and soy sauce. Keep warm until ready to use.

Rub: In a small bowl, place salt, brown sugar, paprika, pepper, mustard, garlic powder, and celery seed and mix with your fingers, breaking up any lumps in the brown sugar or garlic powder.

Ribs: Place a rack of ribs, meat side down, on a baking sheet. Remove the paper-thin membrane from the back of the ribs.

Set aside 1 Tablespoon of rub for serving. Sprinkle remaining rub over both sides of ribs, rubbing it into the meat. Cover ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you set up the grill.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. Place a large drip pan in the center of the grill under the grate. Place ribs, bone side down, in the center of the grate over the drip pan and away from the heat. Toss half the wood chips on each side of the charcoal (or use smoking box).

Cover the grill and cook the ribs for 30 minutes. Brush ribs on both sides with mop sauce. Re-cover the grill and continue cooking the ribs until well-browned, cooked through and tender enough to pull apart with your fingers, probably another 30-45 minutes. Mop ribs and turn every 15 minutes during this final stage.

Just before serving, brush ribs on both sides with BBQ sauce and move them directly over the heat. Grill ribs until BBQ Sauce glaze is browned and bubbling, about 1-3 minutes per side.

Transfer to platter, let ribs rest for a few minutes. Serve with side of reserved rub and BBQ sauce for seasoning and dipping.

BBQ Sauce:

½ Cup Ketchup

¼ Cup Water

1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar

1 Tablespoon White Vinegar

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

1 Teaspoon Chili Powder

½ Teaspoon Salt

In a saucepan combine all ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

we will be expecting BBQ ribs next year at the Mrs. SleepOver!!!

Maybe we can get darlene to raise and butcher a steer for us. Give us a lesson in butchering and dressing out 'meat'

I love meat! my other car is Meat! this reminds me.. I need more meat! gotta get my skills up

Archived