MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Great Lamb recipe - even for those who don't like lamb!

OK, here's a great recipe for lamb - if you have never had lamb before, it has a wholesome, earthy goodness and tastes a lot better than the bland pork or chicken we often get. And it is a lot better for you than most of the beef you find as well.

This is a wonderful treat and looks and tastes like a gourmet chef made it for you - but your guests or family doesn't have to know that you did it yourself feedme

Pesto/Mustard Crusted Lamb:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs

* 2 tablespoons minced garlic

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 Lamb (I like a Lamb Shank or Leg of Lamb - honestly, anything relatively cheap is just fine - I picked up a shank for about $6 (close to "use by" date) - and it is about 2.5 pounds)

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon black pepper

* 2 tablespoons olive oil

* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

* 1/4 cup white wine

* Small jar good Pesto (specialty food section - NOT the dry packaged stuff)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Move oven rack to the center position.

2. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss in 2 tablespoons olive oil to moisten mixture. Set aside.

3. Season the lamb all over with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy oven proof skillet over high heat. Sear rack of lamb for 1 to 2 minutes on all sides. Set aside for a few minutes. Brush lamb with the mustard (mix with the wine first). Roll in the bread crumb mixture until evenly coated.

4. Roast the lamb in preheated oven for 12 to 18 minutes, depending on the degree of doneness you want. With a meat thermometer, take a reading in the center of the meat after 10 to 12 minutes and remove the meat, or let it cook longer, to your taste. Let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes, loosely covered, before carving.

Before serving, spoon juices over it, and heat (I just microwave it, but you can heat in a pan) the pesto - don't burn it - just get it hot. Spoon the pesto over the lamb.

Note:

Allow internal temperature to be 5 to 10 degrees less than you like because the meat will continue to cook while it sits. Bloody rare: 115 to 125 degrees F Rare: 125 to 130 degrees F Medium rare: 130 to 140 degrees F Medium: 140 to 150 degrees F

I have a freezer full of lamb and goat.... thanks for the recipe. I am getting ready for another road trip and when I get back I will post a recipe.

Living near Tarpon Springs and its large Greek community, I have access to lamb and other greek specialities (as well as some incredible authentic restaurants) so I'm doing a lot more with lamb in the kitchen than ever before. My gyros are pretty darn nice, too smile

I just made 16lbs of this for my boys when I was down in Miami and froze them into pita sized patties. I just grill them and make sandwiches with them and everyone loves it:

Gyro Patties with Tzatziki Sauce Recipe

1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded

2 pounds ground lamb

1 tablespoon finely minced garlic

1 tablespoon dried marjoram

1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Tzatziki Sauce, recipe follows

Mix the above ingredients together and shape into pita bread sized patties. Place on hot grill and cook until done. Place patties on split pita bread, with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Tzatziki Sauce:

16 ounces plain yogurt

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

Pinch kosher salt

4 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Archived