MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing cooked rice?

Is this possible? Well- I guess it's POSSIBLE, but will it kill or harm us, and if not, will it be edible? We eat brown rice, but it needs to soak for 7 or so hours before we cook it (it makes it yummy!!), and I usually forget to do this step, so we end up going with something else! I'd like to cook up a big batch and freeze it in smaller batches, but I don't know if this would work. Any help would be appreciated!!

I'm not sure what kind of brown rice needs to be cooked for 7 hours...mine takes less than 40 minutes.

I make a batch, let it cool, and bag in ziplocks in the fridge for a day or 2. Steam to heat, and it's like fresh. I suppose you could do the same with frozen.

I have cooked brown rice both ways.

I like a soft rice for deserts so I use not quite half again as much water as called for and then let it cook on very low heat for 40 minutes without uncovering. I then stir the rice and put the lid back on and let it set for about ten or fifteen more minutes. That makes a very soft sticky rice, great for deserts.

Soaking the rice is about like soaking dry beans. It actually begins a sprouting process but not enough to cause it to start growing and it softens the outer layer. It also changes the taste just slightly and makes the rice fuller when cooked. You are right, it's good that way.

I freeze brown rice cooked the regular way often and find that it will keep for about four months before it starts to lose some of it's taste and texture but I've never tried to freeze the soaked cooked rice. It should be the same. To use it you can either steam it until hot or you can put it covered in the microwave with a few tablespoons of water on it and heat it that way.

The best rice I ever had was cooked for us by some visitors. They fried the dry rice in oil first in a deep pot then they added water and sealed the lid on with newspaper between the lid and pot. They cooked it about an hour on very low heat and when it was done it was the most flavorful rice I'd ever had. The bottom was all crunchy brown and was my favorite part. I've tried it a few times on my own but I must do something wrong as it doesn't seem to turn out the same. Anyone have a recipe for this?

((( ))))

Thanks Mother! I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I cooked some today without soaking it first, and I just don't like it as much. But I'm picky. I don't have a recipe like the one you're asking about, but I'd love to try it if you find one!! It sound delicious!!

Archived