MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Cream soups

Guest Guest

Would the soup have real cream in it? Or is that just a daft question?! Canning over there and bottling here seem different ib qyite a few ways, as I've been finding out through my work with Carla Emery on her book. Here for instance, we don't need to take account of altitude, and don't use pressure canners.

Claudia Hi nice to meet you.

I can a lot of my soups but I don't can cream ones anymore. In my experience - and others may disagree - when I can a soup with a milk base it separates and curdles and just isn't very nice. If I wanted to can a cream soup I'd can the soup without the milk and add it when I opened the can and heated the soup up to eat it.

I've posted the recipe for cream soup mix that I use for time to time to use up storage food as I hope this may be the sort of thing you are looking for. I don't use it very often as I'm lucky enough to have a big vegetable garden and have the ingredients for fresh soups to hand. But I know this recipe is very popular. I hope I've translated it back into American english OK - yell if I've made a mess of it

Fat Free Cream Soup Mix

2 cups powdered nonfat milk

3/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup or less instant vegetable bouillon ( or

chicken )

2 tablespoons dried onion flakes

1 teaspoon basil leaves (optional)

1 teaspoon thyme leaves (optional)

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container until you are ready to use it.

To substitute for one can of condensed soup, combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened, add to your casserole as you would canned products and the same thing for sauces and soups

If you don't want basil or thyme in the soup base, leave it out, if you want to substitute instant chicken

bouillon for the vegetable,do it, be as creative as you want to be.

This makes enough for 9 cans of soup.

Variations of cream soups:

Mushroom soup: add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms

Celery soup: add 1/2 cup minced celery

Potato soup: add 1 cup diced potatoes, cooked

Vegetable soup: add 3/4 cup mixed vegetables, cooked

Broccoli soup: add 1 cup chopped broccoli, cooked

Asparagus soup: add 1 cup chopped asparagus, cooked

Chicken soup: add 1/2 to 1 cup cup finely diced chicken, cooked

( you might want to use broth instead of water )

Mushroom with roasted garlic: add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms and

1 to 2 roasted garlic cloves

Tomato soup: add 1/2 to 1 cup finely chopped and seeded tomato

Tomato potato soup: add 1/2 cup diced cooked potato and 1/2 cup finely

diced and seeded tomato

Chicken with herbs: add 1/2 to 1 cup finely diced chicken with

additional herbs to your taste, parsley, oregano etc.

Carrot soup: add 1 cup of cooked carrots and add to soup base puree in

a blender for a nice creamy carrot soup, play around with this one

until you reach the consistency you want.

Roasted garlic soup: add 2 to 3 roasted garlic cloves and stir in well till blended ( I like garlic so I add more than that)

Onion soup: add 1/2 cup of sauted chopped onions

The varieties are endless, you just have to use your imagination and

not be afraid to experiment with different ingredients.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 368 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (0% calories from

fat);

trace Protein; 88g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 9mg Sodium

Food Exchanges: 6 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0

Fat;

0 Other Carbohydrates

Stargirl

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I can things to make cream soups: mushrooms, asparagus, chicken, celery. Then I add milk and thickener when making the soup. It just doesn't sound right to can it with the milk and also I can use the main ingredients for other things if I want.

On a side note: when using homemade cream soups vs. store bought condensed cream soups in recipes (like casseroles). You need to cut back on the liquid in the recipe:

If the recipe says-1 can condensed soup (10 3/4 oz) and 1 can water/milk-that's 21 1/2 oz, then I add that much homemade soup or about 2 1/2 cups.

Or if the recipe just gives a liquid amount then I cut it back by 10 oz or about 1 1/4 cups.

If the recipe doesn't call for additional liquid then I put 1 cup homemade cream soup in a saucepan and heat. Whisk 1 Tbl. flour with 1/4 cup milk and add to soup. Heat to boiling to thicken. And then add this to my recipe.

Guest Guest

Hi Anonymous! Thanks soooo much for the cream soup recipes - have just finished printing them. You ask if you have put them in English - dare I ask where you are? Anyhow this is going to be good for us and I do appreciate your time doing this.

Guest Guest

Pansy, if you look at the date, you'll notice that it's from 2003. The poster is "Stargirl", and she must have requested that her registration be pulled. I'm afraid I don't remember that. But she was a *Sweetie*, and I still wonder how she's doing.

Stargirl is from England, which explains her reference to "American English".