MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Guacamole and Green salsa

Guest Guest

HappyGirl's Guacamole

-two ripe avocados

-two Roma tomatoes, diced

-1/4 of a medium onion, diced

-cilantro stems, finely chopped (if desired)

-juice of a lime

-salt to taste

Cut open the avocados length wise from top to bottom and remove seeds (one from each), set aside the seeds (do not discard). While the avocado "meat" is still in it's shell, carefully cut the avocado meat very fine then scoop out with a spoon. Place in bowl and add the tomatoes, onion and cilantro. Add juice from a fresh lime (to taste) and salt (to taste). Mix well with a spoon, until the avocado turns to mush. Add the seeds at the end...they will help keep the avocado from turning brown. Store leftovers tightly covered in the fridge. I put a layer of seran wrap as close to the guacamole as possible. Oxygen is what makes the avocado turn brown. Enjoy!

Tip: Sometimes the avocados I buy at the store aren't "ready". You know that they are ready when they are soft, and yet not too soft to the touch. If they aren't ready (they usually aren't) I plan ahead and buy them for later in the week (On Monday for a Wedneday or Thursday night supper). I put them in a dark bag (brown paper bags work best), and that helps them get "ready" on time. You know that they aren't ready if they are hard and green, or too ready if they are black and too soft. Black is a good color for them to be, just not too soft.

Green Salsa (from Mexico)

-6 medium size tomatillos

-5 chiles serranos*

-1/4 medium onion

-1 garlic clove

-salt to taste (about 1 and a half tsp)

-handfull of cilantro (if desired)

-cilantro stems, finelly chopped (if desired)

Take husk off of the tomatillos, and wash them well. Take the stems off the serranos and wash well. Put into pot with water to cook. Allow to cook over medium heat until tomatillos turn color. Drain, allowing about 2tsp of the water to remain. Put into blender. Blend well, and add onion, garlic, prewashed cilantro (not stems)-if desired; and salt to taste. Blend very well, until it's liquid form. Pour into serving bowl. Add cilantro chopped stems, if used, stir well. Garnish with a cilantro stem with the leaves still on, or with a few cilantro leaves in the middle.

*I use 10-15 chiles, depending on their size. I wrote 5...use more or less according to your taste for HOT stuff.

Tip: Look at your tomatillos before buying them. I literally open up the outer skin (husk) to make sure no bugs got into them or that they are not rotten. I don't want to pay for something I don't use! The tomatillos are very sticky...make sure you wash them, the chiles and the cilantro well.

Tomatillos are a "cousin" of tomatoes but are not the same. Do not substitute green tomatoes for tomatillos.

I grow tomatillos in my greenhouse very year, and the violet ones are my favourite because of the beautiful colour. To be honest, I don't cook much with them as i eat them straight off the plabts in the greenhouse very time I'm passing. they grow in the same way as tomatoes, and are quite easy. I want to try the gren ones, but haven't found a source of seed yet.

I hope you guys like them! Yes, Blebbie, they are authentic from Mexico...tought to me by a dear friend who cooks sooooo good! Lowlie, I've seen the purple ones, but have never used them...too much of a scardy cat ). Are they the same? Do the purple ones come in husks also? Are they sticky? It never occured to me to eat them raw! What do they taste like?

Yes, they grow in husks, and when it is peeled back when they are ripe, it reveals the most beautiful violet fruit inside, which is sticky. They taste like a rather sharp tomato, but are delicious eaten straight off the vine in the garden. I hope to try them outside as well this year, as space is getting limited in the greenhouses. They are fairly easy to grow and give a huge yield. You could grow them in pots if you haven't much space. I would recommend trying them definitely.

Mmmmmm....someday I'd love to be able to grow my own stuff...tomatillos, serranos, cilantro (and other herbs), and lots more stuff. For now it's not possible...we live in an apartment with no patio or deck . But someday....