MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Asian Pear Jam

Pansy

Well, we have a great crop of Asian Pears this year and along with drying them I would like to make jam - have gone to the Ball/Mason site - nothing. That is to say, Pears but not specifically Asian Pears. I canned seven pints of the Asian Pears a couple of years ago and then had someone tell me I should have put Lemon juice in them and had to throw them away - it nearly killed me. I don't put Lemon juice in my regular Pears when I can and have done this for years and years, so what is the difference? Anyhow does anyone have a recipe for Asian Pear Jam? Can I leave the skins on and just chop them up? Thanks for any help.

You do have to add bottled lemon juice to Asian pears. They can grow botulism if you don't. They are not acidic enough without it. Regular pears do have enough acid by themselves.

That is the difference. I don't think you will like the texture of the peels left on in the jam. It will need some lemon juice, too, in the recipe.

I tried to find a recipe quickly, but can't locate one. Sorry, I have to go for now. Have somethings to take care of today on a time schedule.

Thanks for the advice Violet - will pay attention and will also peel the Pears! Will let you know how it turns out - maybe should just try to make Pear butter with it - will see what I come up with.

Archived