MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Did somebody say that they make juce by simply canning fruit, sugar, and water?

susie

Other than grape, I mean...I did grape juice like that, and it is delicious and easy. Blackberries and blueberries will be next...and maybe lemonade.

But what I really want to know is if I can do apple juice like that? What kinds of apples? How much sugar? How much apple in the jar?

Thanks in advance, susie

I am impatient...so right now, I have blueberries, apples, apple-cinamon, and lemonade (with and without peels, with and without cinnamon, and also one jar of extra sweet), all heating away in that wonderful electric water bath canner. I'll give it 25 minutes at boil, and let y'all know.

In the end, I gave it all a ten minute boil, and now they're out of the canner, all lined up and looking pastel-pretty coloured on the counter..remnds me of easter egg dye. The cinnamony ones (I used up my special stock of 16 remaining redhots that my son brought me from his school trip to the US) and the blueberry ones have layered. The apple ones aren't looking too strong, although I put different amounts of apple into each jar as a control...I suspect they might've needed to have been cut up into bits, rather than simply quartered.

I am eyeing the old metal bookpress that's on the floor...I wonder if that could be used as an applepress?

I'm thinking (without looking yet), that the Amishway folks do the grape juice thing... I'll look for that post I saw here a couple of weeks ago about that. I'll need it soon! I'm hunting for muscadines (wild grapes) to can, and make juice from...

The juice from those wild muscadines are wonderful for drinking and for cooling fevers and such...

squirtgun.gif

Okay, it's morning, and I've tasted the stuff...

The apple juice could use some help, maybe I ought to have chopped the apples, instead of simply quartering them. Or maybe it was the apple variety...each jar ahd hald a Royal Gala and half a Golden delicious. The jars were clear, with no tint of colour. The liquid tasted like apple flavoured water. The redhots one tasted like cinnamon flavoured apple water.

The blueberry is good, no problem there, and I'll do it again.

I thought at first that he lemon could use more lemon, I used a quarter of a peeled, unsqueezed lemon for both the pint and the quart jar...but the taste didn't change much between jars, until I tried the pint jar with the piece of UNpeeled lemon...now, THAT tasted like lemonade, it was lovely and not at all bitter, as I'd expected it to be with the peel on. The one with the cinnamon redhots (eight tiny round redhots to a quart) was delicious, even if it did want more lemon. I'll do this again, but with the peels, and maybe half a jemon per jar, squeeze the lemon, and if I'm doing it with redhots, maybe only six to the jar.

I also used cold water to start...I didn't pour boiling water over the fruit. That may have made a difference, too.

The kids prefer the lemon one made without the peel. I made one extra-sweet, but it seems that it's better with extra lemon. So...one fat peeled lemon quarter and one heaping spoonful of sugar for each pint.

Plus..no more that six redhots per quart. Next time I think I'll throw in a mintleaf or two and see what happens.

And, next time, I'll make it all super concentrated and can it in small jarfuls, to be mixed with water aftre opening.

Archived