MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm not sure that this is the right place to post....

But I was wondering.....if I went to a farmer's market, and found home made bread, made with fresh wheatflour (is that what you call it?), would it be possible for me to ask the woman who baked the bread if I could, in the future, buy the fresh flour from her instead?

I'm not sure that made any sense, but it's for the book I'm writting. I just want to know if it's a possible scenario or not....

Okay, I hope that made more sense. Thanks for your help! HG flowersmilie

Fresh wheat flour... yes. You could ask. Might or might not sell.

I'm thinking it's not likely in today's situation, because flour is easily bought... whole wheat or white. She'd look at you like you're crazy. crazy

Now, *if* flour is in short supply, and she might have a supply she's not willing to sell, she might, instead, rather have a barter situation. Say... you offer to help bake in exchange for bread or flour. Or offer another needed thing in exchange.

Whole wheat would need to be ground, and it's not easy if it's done by hand (no electricity?). A person with a stash would want to protect it and not give too much away or her "business" is gone. But it's labor-intensive if done without electricity.

Does that help, dear author??? wink

bighug

It does, dear friend! bighug

What I was thinking of was this: An Amish woman bakes bread from wheat flour she gets from her husband (they're farmers). Our heroine is a picky buyer, and likes *fresh* stuff, so she asks if instead of buying the bread she can buy the *fresh* wheat flour. Does that make sense? Would the Amish woman still look at her like she's crazy? That's what I don't want! As of yet, things are still fine, so the store would have plenty of regular flour...I may save it for later, so that they can barter something...

Thanks again for your help! HG flowersmilie

I have asked lots of people for the basics of what they sell at farmers markets.. they are more likely to oblige in this section of the country I guess because I have even managed to get the flour they make the bread with from a guy at the farmers market. Because it was his own "special blend of flours" He used wheat and oat and a little white flour.

Sure, you could want "fresh whole wheat flour". Some nutrients are lost with time and processing.

She doesn't want to grind it herself? *grin*

Oh, I like the blend of flour idea, thanks! And *giggle* she's not strong enough to grind it herself! rofl

Thanks for the ideas! It will go in the chapter I'm working on, or maybe the next... thanks

HG flowersmilie

Archived