MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm looking for an old recipe: Nut cake

My grandmother used to make tomato soup cake and my favorite

Nut cake.

She died and my stupid Uncle threw away her recipe box..

My recipe I copied from her has faded..

This cake only has about 5 ingrediance

Maybe your grandmother taught you...It was made with Walnuts

Found this - 4 ingredients.

http://baking.about.com/od/cakes/r/easytomatosoup.htm?p=1

From Carroll Pellegrinelli,

There are only 4 ingredients in this easy recipe for Tomato Soup Cake.

Easy Tomato Soup Cake

* 1 - 18 ounce spice cake mix

* 1 - 10 3/4 ounce can tomato soup

* 1/2 cup milk or water

* 2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch cake pans. With hand mixer, mix ingredients on low speed just until combined. Continue mixing for 2 minutes on medium to high speed. Pour into pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until done. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove and finish cooling on racks. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

This About.com page has been optimized for print. To view this page in its original form, please visit: http://baking.about.com/od/cakes/r/easytomatosoup.htm

©2007 About.com, Inc., a part of The New York Times Company. All rights reserved.

HC45,

This is my DG's recipe, old time english and terms.

2 eggs, beated separately.. yokes together, whites together.

1 c. brown sugar,..beated into the yokes.

1/2 c. butter.

1/4 teasp. baking powder

1 c. nut meats..chopped

1/2 c. flour

Add butter to brown sugar and eggs. Dry ingredients. Whites of eggs beated stiff and folded in last.

Place in small tin, bake 15 min. in medium hot oven.

[ I have used a small biscuit pan about 7x9 to bake this] and med hot is 350 to 365 degrees. cakeslice

I have always included the nuts in with the flour. The old recipe does not say; that is common with old ones. The women expected others to know the unwritten sequences.

A modern day trick, dusting the nuts with the flour hold them in the batter suspension, rather than sinking to the bottom of the pan...to burn.

I have always added a touch of vanilla, OR, lemon extract with a grating of lemon peel, or same w/orange.

Try making this recipe the old fashioned way. It takes 15 to 20 min. with a whisk to beat the egg whites to full volume. Even if you let the whites come to room temp. first. Gma was a tough old gal! rofl

Archived