MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ve Canning "fried apples".

whitewolf55

I can apple pie filling that can be used to make fried apples once you open them. Basically, it is apple pie filling that I put into a butter coated cast iron pan and "fry" until warm then serve.

You really should not can anything that contains added butter or a lot of added oils and fats or flour. If your recipe is similar to pie filling, does not contain flour or added fat, you could probably can it according to pie filling recipes in the Ball Blue Book.

Here is a recipe for fried apples.....as you see, it contains butter-- you really don't want to can something like that. (and this recipe makes only two servings, LOL)

Fried Apples

Quarter and core five apples without paring. Put into a frying pan

one cup of sugar one tablespoon of butter an three tablespoons of

water. Let this melt and lay in the apples with the skin up. Cover

and fry slowly until brown.

---------

Southern Fried Apples

2 servings

2 medium Cooking apples

2 tablespoons butter

3 1/2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Dash of salt

Core but do not peel apples. Slice 1/2-inch thick to make perfect

rings. Heat butter in a heavy skillet. Fit the apple slices to

cover bottom of skillet without breaking slices. Mix the sugar,

cinnamon and salt and cover apples with 1/2 the mixture. Cook

slowly for 5 minutes; turn slices with a pancake turner to avoid

breaking. Cover with remaining sugar mixture and cook over low

heat until apples are almost transparent (if too well cooked, they

will break easily).

Serve hot.

If you want my canning apple pie recipe...here it is..this is not from the Ball Blue Book. It is from "Canning" by Sue and Bill Deeming This recipe makes three quarts--exactly. So you need to double or triple for more. The original recipe called for 1/3 cup flour...but I leave it out and thicken this when I serve it if it seems too juicy then. (I can't have wheat flour anyway-- allergies!)

PIE APPLES

6 lbs firm baking apples (I like Courtlands)

antioxidant solution or fruit fresh

2 cups sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1 Tbs. grated lemon peel

2 Tbs. lemon juice

Prepare jars and lids. Wash apples; peel,core and slice. To prevent from darkening use an antioxidant solution. In small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well. Lift apples from solution, rinse. Place in an 8-quart pot. Sprinkle with sugar mixture; stir gently. Let stand until juices lfow, about half an hour. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice. Cover. Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat until 212F on a candy thermometer (100C). Ladly hot fillin ginto one hot har at a time, leaving half inch headspace. Release trapped air. Wipe rim of jar with clean damp cloth. Attach lid. Place in canner. Fill and close remaining jars. Process in boiling water bath. Pints 20 minutes. Quarts 25 minutes

That recipe is fairly consistent with canning apples described in the Ball Blue Book except that the Blue Book says to process both pints and quarts for 20 minutes.

Archived