MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What was the first movie...

Guest Guest

you remember seeing in a theater?

My Dad used to work at a place that treated the families to a movie, with candy and door prizes, every Christmas season. Do you know what a pound of hard candy LOOKS like to a 4 year-old???

What's your memory???

Ahhh, let's see...... hmmm.... I think it was "The Tales of the Brothers Grimm" . I was still in elementary school and we took a bus to the big fancy theater in Detroit... I can't remember the name of the theater right now.... I'll probably remember it as soon as I sign off though... The screen seemed SOOOO huge and the movie was actually pretty scary since the stories weren't sugar-coated like they tend to be now... we ate all kinds of candy and it was a great trip!! I must have been about 8 or 9 at the time... Boy, have movies changed since then!!!!

Llamamomma

I remember in the early 60s going to the movies every Saturday.....can't remember the first one but I know it was a western....also saw a lot of the Elvis movies when they first came out.....hmmmm....1 dollar bought me admission( 50 cents), soda (10 cents), popcorn (10 cents), and a chocolate bar (5 cents) and I still had a quarter left! 2 years later it took all of my dollar to go to the movies! Those were great days!

The first movie I really remember seeing was "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" as a sneak peek. (It hadn't come out in all theatres yet) Guess it made such an impression on me as it was the only time my mom and I went to the movies alone. I know that must have been back in the very early 1950's.

I remember going to see Bambi when I was four and we lived in London, and found it very sad! these days, I'm not a huge cinema fan (DH and the children go, though), as I'd rather wait for the video so I can have a cup of tea and do my knitting!

I honestly can't remember the first one I went to see, although my parents used to get us into our pj's and go to the drive in, we would watch the cartoons at the beginning and usually be asleep for the main feature.

I also remember when we lived in the Northwest Territories, no TV, but we had a very small theatre, must have been about 10 or 11 got permission to go alone, there was a Western playing and it showed a man's bum, because he had been shot and they had to dig the bullet out, showed, as in from a distance, it was a blur, anyway the people at the theatre told my parents I gone in to that movie and I was grounded, I guess it must have had a rating on it. tee hee compared to what is on TV these days, that was nothing, I mean really nothing. tee hee

Well my parents took me to see Sleeping Beauty, but I don't remember it from the theate. I vaguely remember going to the drive in with my parents for several movies when I would sleep through most of it in the backj seat. I figured out later one of them was Rocky because I remember lots of boxing and wondered why my parents were watching a boxing match

The first theater movie I remember is Star Wars! I was 6 or 7 and my dad took us to a theater in San Fransisco at night. I was so excited LOL.

My Dad didn't believe in going to movie theaters, so the first time I went was in Mexico, as a teenager. I saw JFK...I wouldn't have chosen that for my first movie, but that was the free ticket I had. My first movie theater experience in the States was at a dollar theater where a group of us watched Macgiver (sp?). I loved it. I flirted with the guy that I liked

I would have to say Sleeping Beauty by Walt Disney. Some of his earlier movies had alot of depressing stuff in them and even though the hero might have won out at the end his movies always had a sad feel to them.

Next movie I can remember is when I was a young teen and that was A Hard Days Night with the Beatles. I couldn't hear a word they said with all the screaming going on.

I think one of my most favorite animated movies has to be Shrek by the SKG Company. That movie conveys that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," which is so true. I always rally for the underdog...can you tell!

I know I saw alot of movies before this one, as my parents would drop us kids off at the Base theatre all the time. But, the first one I remember, was when I was about 10, and I rode the bus, alone, for 45 miles to spend a weekend with my Grandmother. She never had a car, and met me at the bus station and we walked home. Later, we walked downtown to the theatre and saw The Sound of Music. It was such a neat weekend, having my Grandma all to myself, and The Sound of Music has remained one of my favorite films of all time.

I didn't really go much whan I was little as we didn't have a cinema near to us. The first one I can really remember seeing is Jaws but I must have been before then:)

I don't go to the pictures very much now either - tend to wait for the video too. For some reason, when I go to a movie, I always end up sitting by the person who wants to talk all the way through the film

Stargirl

Oh my, that is a good question. Hmmm, I don't remember the first one for sure, but it was probably Bambi or Lady and the Tramp. I'm sure it was a Disney movie. I also used to go with my Mom and see all the Planet of the Ape Movies, lol, and my Dad took me to see the Wilderness Family Movies. My first date was to a movie. We went to see ET, lol. Ahhh, what memories.

Love,

windswept

The one I remember seeing first was "Love is a Many Splendored Thing". I went with my parents and yet I know my mother took me to all the Disney movies but I can't remember them being first. What a funny movie to remember, now that I think about it. It was released in 1955 so I was 7. Hmmm, interesting question.

I am nearly 40 now and I know that I was to the theater to see some of the Disney films when I was growing up, like "Lady and the Tramp", "Bambi" and "The Aristocats", but the movie that I most remember was the first one that I got to go to without an adult. Just a bunch of young teenagers, and that one was the unforgetable "Smokey and the Bandit"! What a handsome devil that Burt Reynolds was! That was such a grown-up movie for a girl who had been so sheltered all her life!

I also remember the late night stops on the side of the road in front of the drive-in theater when I was young. No sound out there, as they used window-mounted speakers, but we always begged Dad to stop for just a minute, and felt like we had really missed something when we just drove on by. That is that last drive-in still operating in the Thumb. Seasonally anyway.

My younger sister, 30ish, says that her first drive-in was there also with me and my cousin. We took her to see "E.T."

Great memories, Cat! Thanks!

My first memory of the movies wasn't a good one... I remember being in my mother's arms and watching a Lassie movie with Elizabeth Taylor when she was in a wheel chair, anyway the movie went off and another was coming on ....

The screen lit up with this huge growling lion and I remember screamindg my head off!!! My parents left the movie with the rest of the family and myself and it was several years before I was able to go back...

I wasn't walking yet, so it was a very young age....