MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question, mac &cheese

Joni

Good Morning all!!

Question, I got a great deal on a case of Mac&cheese individual boxes, can I vacuumn seal the individual boxes in a 5 gallon bucket with a mylar bag and oxygen absorbers or do I have to remove contents from individual containers?

Joni thanks

You can seal them in the boxes, but it wastes a lot of space, and you'll need more O2 absorbers. Macaroni already needs extra O2 absorbers (because of it's tubular shape) - add in all the air in the box! Whew!

Here's what I would do:

*Open the boxes.

*Put the cheese mix packets in the mylar bag.

*Measure the amount of dry macaroni in the boxes. Measure 2 or 3, to make sure they're consistent, or to get an average.

*Dump the macaroni into the mylar bag.

*Add a note to the mylar bag that says how much dry macaroni to use per cheese packet. Also include cooking instructions (I know you know how to make mac-n-cheese, but what if you're gone and your kids or dh are using it?)

*Throw away the boxes.

*Add O2 absorbers and seal it up.

Conversely, you might look at the expiration date on the boxes and decide that you can rotate thru them before that time. shrug

Because we use our mac n Cheese and rotate stock, I don't want to use oxygen absorbers as they would need to be replaced each time I opened the package. What I do is open the boxes and pour the noodles into a large jar that I use my pump-n-seal on. I put the cheese packets in a freezer bag, and put them in the freezer, with the date of the expiration written on the bag - however with freezing I've noticed that it does keep past the expiration date. Instructions to make it are put on the macaroni jar.

Dawn

Archived