MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Update: Black Eye Peas

YYY

Hi Everybody,

Several weeks ago, I wrote asking if black eye peas that I had already cooked would be mushy if I canned them. Well I went ahead and canned them.

Original message was here:

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...ge=1#Post175176

I just thought I’d update y’all on how they turned out. I opened a jar today. They were great. They were NOT mushy. In fact, I couldn’t detect any difference in the texture. I would have thought the opposite, but I was happy I was wrong.

The only thing I did notice was that before I canned them, I thought they were seasoned “just right”. However, after opening the jar, I needed to add more seasoning. Anybody know why ???

Hope this is of interest to someone.

YYY

I am glad you are happy with the results. Now you could can all sorts of dried beans. I liked the kidney beans I canned. I mashed them up after opening and used for refried beans. The best I ever had.

I am not sure why they are not as tasty once canned.

That's good to know! Thanks for coming back and updating. I had thought about storing all mine dried...but then I got to thinking...what if there wasn't enough water to cook them in, then what? So I think we will cook some up and get them canned.

Not sure on the seasoning thing. I know when we can chili, it seems to increase the taste of the seasoning in the beans. Maybe it is just the type of beans? shrug

Q

Archived