MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

FoodSaver and Powdery Stuff Question

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I have been using my FoodSaver to vacuum seal jars of pancake mix, but for some reason the jars keep losing their seals within a couple of hours or simply won’t seal at all. The jars have at least 1 inch of head space. I wipe the rims to make sure nothing is on them. I put a paper towel in the top of the jar to keep powdery substances out of the hose. I’ve tried changing the jars and lids and even using different sizes. I've tried both Ball and Kerr lids. I even called the FoodSaver company on Friday, but I had already done what they suggested. I also did a search on the Yahoo FoodSaver site to see if there were any additional ideas – None. Everything else seals fine. It's just this pancake mix that won't seal.

Would any of you have any suggestions for vacuum sealing powdery substances ????

Thanks,

YYY

I have not done any pancake mix with mine yet so I don't know if I would have the same problem. I do have problems with certain jars tho. I would suggest you try several of the jars with something else in them like fill them half full of water as a test and see if they seal or lose their seal. Hope this helps.

wormie

John

I've had that problem sealing powdered eggs - I found that I could seal them in wide-mouth jars, but the narrow-mouth ones would lose their seal for some reason. So if you're using narrow-mouth, you might try switching to wide-mouth (if you have that size of jar sealer) and see if that works.

I also use parchment paper instead of paper towels. I have no idea if that will hold out the dust better or not.

Originally Posted By: furbabymom
I've had that problem sealing powdered eggs - I found that I could seal them in wide-mouth jars, but the narrow-mouth ones would lose their seal for some reason. So if you're using narrow-mouth, you might try switching to wide-mouth (if you have that size of jar sealer) and see if that works.

I also use parchment paper instead of paper towels. I have no idea if that will hold out the dust better or not.

I also have problems with powdered items and regular-mouth mason jars. When I use the wide-mouth jars, I seldom have a failed seal.

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your replies, and I am sorry it took me so long to get back to y'all. Yesterday was one of THOOOOOSE days.

I have tried wide mouth and regular jars, different sized jars, switching jars, different brand names of jars, switching lids, both Ball and Kerr lids, tried lids with the red and then the gray adhesive (I hope that's the correct word), and wiping the rims of the jars to make sure nothing is on them. I have previously gotten most jars to seal about 9 out of 10 times and on the 2nd and 3rd tries, that 10th jar would seal. I am stumped.

I originally bought the FoodSaver to seal meat, etc before putting them in the freezer. Then I found out I could buy the jar sealer attachment for my canning jars. I now use my FoodSaver far more for sealing jars than for freezing stuff.

In case anyone has been looking, I found the jar sealer attachments - wide and regular mouth - at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

YYY

• 4 weeks later...

I would not vacuum seal it, I would can it in the oven. Yes, I know it is odd...last time I saw it was in a Ball canning guide for canning nutmeats. I see no reason it would not work for other dried stuff too - as long as it would take the heat.

Archived