MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Today on my little Homestead

MamaTiger

It's only 11:30 AM here...we fed the chickens, horse, pigs, and milked the cow, had breakfast, and started on morning household chores. Then oldest ds was hanging clothes on the line and we heard a yollar "The horse is out!"

Seems someone left the gate open and Cooper, our 1 yr old stud horse, had gotten out of the pen. He's a biter...and we have to keep him separate from the milk cow and herd cows. Actually, he's gotten to acting as though he is BIG boss around here, rearing up and scaring the dc.

So we all try to get his rope and get him back in the pen, but he won't go. He's rearing and running off. We tried some feed in his scoop, but he's on to that little trick too.

Dh had gone to get a few things from ASC, an hour away. For now, it appears Cooper is free, but soon, very soon, BIG BOSS will be home and Cooper will learn to submit. *giggle*

One ds is watching the horse so we don't lose him. Another is finishing the luandry hanging and I am getting ready to leave...we are meeting a lady i know online from another board today for a picnic in the park!

Today we are going to plant onions and potatoes, make an onion bed and a cucumber bed as well. Plus I need to work on creating some new storage fro my canned goods.

If the horse is tame enough and you're not afraid of him you might try lying down on the ground where he can see you. Hoses are soooooo nosy that he'll come and check out what you're doing. When he leans down to sniff take hold of his halter (does he have a halter on him) and gently get up. Obviously if you're afraid of him rearing, etc. DON'T try it.

Sometimes it'll work slick.....don't ask how I know!!! smile

Oh I hope you get him in! I'm not a horse person but one day woke up to find in my front yard a pony calmly eating fallen apples. I had no idea where he lived and knew the owner would be looking for him. I used carrots to lure him to me (figured he would be sick of apples by then) and managed to get his bridle but then I didn't know what to do with him....so I slowly started walking him down the hill because I saw a person down there....wasn't his owner but a neighbor helping hunt for the errant beast. Thank goodness!

One other time, I woke up to hearing someone screaming for Cynthia frantically. Thinking there was a lost child, I threw on clothes and ran to go outdoors only to come face to face with a llama--a really tall llama who was on my porch looking in the door! Yes, this was Cynthia....

I'll be thinking of you today keeping watch on that mischief-maker of yours!

Llamas like me. (apropos of nothing)

I wouldn't be freaked to find a pony in my yard, but a llama? LOL!

Archived