MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Traditional bread and butter pudding

Slices of day old or two day old bread

Butter

Sugar

Eggs

Milk

Sultanas (optional)

Butter the slices of bread on one side, and cut into triangles; arrange in baking dish. Beat 2 - 3 eggs with the same amount of milk, mix in sugar well. Sprinkle sultanas over the bread if using, then pour on the egg mixture. Bake in a medium oven until the custard is set. Serve warm with cream or custard.

I usually allow 1 1/2 slices of bread per person; the amount of eggs and milk depends on the amount of bread used and the depth of the dish; the mixture should come about 4/5 the way up the bread; the drier bread at the top will become crunchy and browned in the oven, which contrasts with the rich soft puddingy bit underneath. for special occasions, a dollop of sherry or madeira wine is very good!

This is a very traditional English pudding, and is a good way of using up bread and surplus eggs; it's a favourite in this house. Other traditional puddings here are rice pudding, fruit crumble, trifle, apple pie, fruit sponge and custard, fruit pies etc.

They are a left-over from the days when work was much more physical, eg farmwork etc, than today. If we ate puddings like that twice a day and not do the necessary amount of physical work and exercise it would cause real health problems. We have a pudding like this once or twice a week, and other times it's yoghurt, fresh fruit, etc. (Although to look at me you'd think I was a twice a day pudding lady!!)