MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

University Extension Master Food Preservation Class

Shari

I am so excited! I have been keeping in touch with our county/university extension coordinator regarding my canning(Jarring, as Grandson calls it)) exploits. She just sent me an application for an master food preservation class. It is a three day class with hands on, start to finish classes on water bath, pressure canning, dehydrating, freezing - the works! Price includes the foods we are going to preserve - and all the latest publications on home food preservation - for fifty bucks and a twenty hour commitment to help teach others over the next three years. Looks like lunches are included, too! I am so wound up about this - can't wait till July when it starts! I hope the rest of you can find such an experience in your area!

That is great thing you get to do the classes. Not that many places offer this anymore. I am glad for you.

I help teach the classes here. You bring your own lunch. We have 6 day long classes ( one a week) from 9 am. to 3 pm. We have hands on lessons after the lessons. You get to take home usually a jar of each kind of food you can. Most days there is about 3 or 4 different foods you preserve.

Here you have to volunteer 40 hours, I think it is now.

I have been doing this for 8 years.

You can take the lessons online here for free :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Three days of classes?!

The one here in Vancouver is six - for one day a week, for 6 weeks. There is no cost, just bring your own materials (jars/lids/rings), lunch, apron, notebook/pen, and canning tools. I think the return volunteer time is 30 hours over the next year or so, and then you are 'qualified' to teach food perservation and even pressure test canners! I'm so excited, I'm starting the class next week. I'll share what we cover! smile

Archived