MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bucket Storage (or...the Idiot's Questions About...)

I've poked around and can't find (for the life of me) the answers to my relatively simple (-minded, at least) questions. Maybe I'm just missing something.

I bought some storage buckets at Walmart the other week--three of which now house some rice. The others are looking at me, almost as if taunting, "SO! Are you gonna use us? Huh? Huh?"

(Kinda like the pressure canner--which I swear is coming out of the box by the end of this month. Can I help it if I'm terrified I'm going to blow up the kitchen?? Don't laugh! I blew up the microwave warming up a cup of coffee.... *hangs head in shame*)

You'll have to forgive me if I'm very OCD about food storage--'cause I'm afraid I'm going to poison my family!! blush

A couple questions then:

1. I have some #10 cans that I got from Emergency Essentials that had dry milk in them. (I anticipate having a neverending supply of these--either that or the kids are going to kidnap someone's milk cow!) Can I put--cheddar cheese powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, etc that I would get in bulk at the local Mennonite dry goods store--into the empty cans, throw in an O2 absorber, and reseal it? (Yes, I could get these in bulk online already packed, but I really do prefer to patronize my little store whenever possible.)

2. Sugar and salt store indefinitely?? Is this true? Can I put these into my storage buckets that I got at Walmart, toss in O2 absorbers, and put them in my basement? Do I need to do anything else to them first?

3. 50 lb bags of red/white wheat from Honeyville Grains--put them in the buckets in their bags (like I did with my white rice), put in O2 absorbers, and seal??

4. Best way to store walnuts/peanuts/other nuts for long term? We go through a lot of nuts. (Incidentally I do have a black walnut in my backyard that I may even break down and raid each year, should my walnut stores ever disappear. Hee! Sheer luck.)

These are the questions that come to mind right now.

If someone has a website with good step-by-step instructions on bucket storage or a link to a past thread here that I probably missed, I would really appreciate it.

There's been a lot of posts lately that talk about storing this or that but no instructions. I really would feel much more....secure?...if I know I'm doing this right. Hence my fear of pressure canning--I know these are low-acid foods I'm messing with, and I'm terrified the kids are gonna die of botulism!

If food storage is supposed to bring me peace of mind, I need to be sure that I took all the precautions I could to make it SAFE. Right now...I'm not feeling that so much. Thanks everybody!

Here's a

of how to store food in buckets. This is part 1 of the video. It's done by the folks over on the Frugal Squirrel forum.

As for sugar, my understanding is that you can just pack it up and throw it in the basement. You want to protect it from moisture and from extreme heat. Sealed buckets in the basement should probably solve this.

I doubt that you can get that whole 50# bag of wheat into a 5 gallon bucket. The wheat I've ordered from Breadbecker's is in buckets that are fluched with CO2 and sealed, they contain 48# (I think). I'm not worried about them stored that way.

I've bolded my response.

Originally Posted By: mishbloom
1. I have some #10 cans that I got from Emergency Essentials that had dry milk in them.... Can I put--cheddar cheese powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, etc that I would get in bulk at the local Mennonite dry goods store--into the empty cans, throw in an O2 absorber, and reseal it?

I reuse all my #10 cans and have for 17 years. I use them in my pantry to hold small quantities from my larger food storage (eg. I get a #10 can full of flour from the 6 gallon bucket). But I've never tried resealing it. How would you do that? Do you have a professional canning machine?

2. Sugar and salt store indefinitely?? Is this true? Can I put these into my storage buckets that I got at Walmart, toss in O2 absorbers, and put them in my basement? Do I need to do anything else to them first?

Yup. Indefinitely. I don't know what your storage buckets look like but any food grade bucket will work. Is your basement damp? If so, you may have problems with moisture getting through the bucket and causing hardening. Maybe someone with a basement can help you more.

3. 50 lb bags of red/white wheat from Honeyville Grains--put them in the buckets in their bags (like I did with my white rice), put in O2 absorbers, and seal??

Many people will run them through the freezer first to kill off bugs. Since I've never done this, I can't offer suggestions. I would, however, remove the bags first. The bags can offer a place for bugs to hide.

4. Best way to store walnuts/peanuts/other nuts for long term? We go through a lot of nuts.

I would refrigerate the short-term storage ones and freeze some for longer storage. They go rancid fairly quickly.

If someone has a website with good step-by-step instructions on bucket storage or a link to a past thread here that I probably missed, I would really appreciate it.

Try YouTube. Here's a starter:

OH YIPPEE!!! *dances in deliriously happy circles*

Thanks, all of you!

*SQUEEZES each*

*gnaws on a nail*

Oh yes...my dial-up is going to hate me by the time I'm done here! LOL

Archived