MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not following a recipe to can

I really want to can salsa, but I want to can my salsa. Its basically just tomatoes, garlic, onions, lime juice, cilantro and vinegar. All the recipes I find have peppers and other things I dont want.

Am I taking too big of a risk by just making my own salsa and not following a recipe? I would have for my first canning experience to kill me.

No, you are not taking a risk with ingredients (by omission). Any risk would come from not following the guide lines to the actual canning process, ie: sterilizing the jars, correct processing times ect. If you didn't die from eating your own recipe, you'll surely survive canning it.......tee heee......

It depends... if you don't have enough bottled lime or lemon juice or vinegar you can get botulism. You do need to follow the recipe, but you can omit or use less of the low acid veggies, but do not lower the acid level.

You will find the information and recipes here :

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_e/e-323.html

CAUTION: Most salsa recipes contain a mixture of low-acid foods, such as onions and chiles. Acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice must be added to prevent the bacteria, Clostridium botulinum, from growing. This bacteria produces a deadly toxin that can cause serious damage to the central nervous system or death when eaten in even small amounts. These salsa recipes have been tested to ensure that they contain enough acid to be processed safely in a boiling water canner.

She could if she still had some added acid. Usually salsa is canned for 35 min. at 11 lb. pressure dial gauge canner or 10 lb. weighted gauge, unless she needs to adjust for higher altitude. I have a recipe I pressure can.

Archived