MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My canner came!!!

Lissalue

yay! canning Now, to decide what to can first. i have already done my practicing with water and I am leaning towards vegi soup since I have all ingredients for it. and then we could eat it for supper too.

or spaghetti sauce. We have everything for that too.

Well, crap, I thought I had researched and found a canner that was safe on my glass top stove, but on the box it says it isn't. So, what do I do? Do I keep it and just use it only half full, or do I send it back or re-sell it to someone and get a different one?

What brand did you get ? So sorry to hear this. Lots of folks use an outdoor turkey fryer for their canning. But, then you have to work outside.

I don't think doing half a load will help. It has to fit over the element part and not be any larger in diameter than 1 inch all the way around. Besides, those glass top stoves cycle on and off and often won't keep it hot enough to control or maintain the pressure.

Lissalue, I'd send it back and get a refund. I have a glass top stove and I bought a 23-quart Presto (specifically stated to be safe on this type of stove)and a separate, 3-piece weighted gauge. So far, I've no had trouble at all. I did have to experiment to find which of my larger burners worked better and at what setting.

Ginny

It is a Mirro canner. i measured and it fits on the burner perfectly. The bottom is 9 inches, and so is my burner.

I am going to talk to my DH about it, and go price a turkey fryer. I may keep this one for outside canning in the heat of summer and get a presto to do stuff indoors if it is raining. I don't know, but I don't think he is going to be happy about it. frown

It is on the Mirro Box, but not in the book. That had me a bit confused. So, I will call them tomorrow, just to be sure.

We are going to keep it, either way. I will just be going to get the turkey fryer in the next couple of days.

Archived