MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mylar bags vs "Food Saver" Bags

Anyone have any thoughts on longevity of mylar vs vacuum pack type bags? I have (not much) some whole wheat I would like to bag up in smaller portions along with an O2 absorber, I live in a humid/hot area and don't want to have to open up a bucket of wheat only to have it go bad before I could use it. My idea is to bag it up in smaller portions and then store it. I don't have much money, but I can easily buy a roll of vacuum bags at Walmart.

Odd--I was just about to post this question. Most of my storage is in food-safe containers, but for the corn I have my eye on some squarish rolling containers (garbage cans on sale) that don't look food-safe.

So--anybody compared them?

Originally Posted By: Michelle_3kds
Anyone have any thoughts on longevity of mylar vs vacuum pack type bags? I have (not much) some whole wheat I would like to bag up in smaller portions along with an O2 absorber, I live in a humid/hot area and don't want to have to open up a bucket of wheat only to have it go bad before I could use it. My idea is to bag it up in smaller portions and then store it. I don't have much money, but I can easily buy a roll of vacuum bags at Walmart.

My favorite way:

Use mylar/O2 absorbers/buckets for longer term bulk storage.

For shorter term use, I vacuum pack the same foodstuff in a quantity of large size (custom-cut) FoodSaver plastic bags. Of course, no O2 absorbers needed here...

I reuse the same FoodSaver bags for rotating the bulk goods, especially those that have shorter life spans (oatmeal, etc.). After my FoodSavered plastic bag stash is used up, I refill them all at the same time from a freshly opened bucket. After reusing these bags once or twice, I poke holes in the bottom and recycle them as garden 'pots'...

Whoops! I hope I didn't give the impression that the FoodSaver bags were not good for long term? It should work fine for long term storage, but I use it for shorter term storage, mainly because of convenience (the smaller and handy size, without needing the O2 absorbers.)

Archived