MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Preserving questions re milk and jars

Shandy

Is there some way that I can preserve goat milk?

Someone just gave me 30 jars that an old grandma used to can with. None of them are regular canning jars. Since she actually used them, I assume they can stand up to canning pressure.

Have any of you used non-canning jars with success?

We prefer some foods frozen, like corn and peas. Would it be possible to can these vegies after freezing them, like if we were to lose electricity for a long time?

Non canning jars are a thinner glass and more prone to exploding under pressure and heat during processing. It's not worth all the work that goes into filling the jars, only to have them explode while processing.

Some people use those jars for water bath canning only, although I don't.

Frozen veggies can up great, so feel free to use that as a Plan B if you want.

I have to disagree.

I use jars that have ben pressure canned already...supermarket jars previously filled with meat and vegetables. They're made for industrial canning, and those jars have never once broken...whereas the special canning ones have.

The reason I use them is the cost...the jars are free and the lids cost much less (one thenth) than the special ones.

I understand susie, but here we do not advocate using non-home canning jars.

It isn't open for discussion. People are responsible for the choices they make, but here in this particular forum, they are not advocated for home canning, for the reasons I stated above.

I can drive 100mph 50 times with no consequences. But one of these days if I continued to be reckless, I'd get busted...one way or another. People who push the parameters of approved home canning may 'sneak through' for a period of time, but the parameters are there for a reason...to insure safety for the producers and consumers of said home canned product.

So, disagree all you want but in the Preserving the Harvest forum, where we teach certified safe home canning, in this particular instance you're wrong outside of affordability. Commerical canning is done at different heats/pressures/times and is a whole different beast from home canning.

I understood that it wasn't a good idea to can milk products--- I only use home canning jars to can anything in, I only tried it once-- I had a batch of the mayo type jars break on me and I lost my catsup---- catsup is very time comsuming, so I only use the jars meant for home canning. I freeze milk--- but now we are adjusting kidding times so we have fresh milk year around. Carolyn

Sorry, but there is no safe way to homecan milk. I know some folks do it, but they are taking a risk with their safety. If it were able to be safely canned, it would take so long in a pressure canner it would not be edible.

It needs to be frozen.

The "one trip" jars from the store do not have the same thickness around the sealing surface.They are more rounded, not as flat on top as a canning jar. You do not get the same amount of sealing area. They should not be used to can in a pressure canner, for sure.

If you take a risk with them in the water bath canner, they still can break more easily and you can lose all your hard work and money. Even those that say "mason" on the jars, like some spaghetti sauce ones still have a more rounded surface where they seal.

I agree, spend the money on some canning jars. They can be usually found cheaply at thrift stores or garage sales. Some folks will even give them to you on Freecycle or Craigslist, etc.

Some older people often give them away at churches or other places, too, when they no longer can. They are happy to provide you with them. It is a nice gesture to give them a couple jars filled with some great homecanned food in exchange.

Darlene, thank you for your common sense stance on safe home food preservation. I truly appreciate you and all you do !

Hugs !

Archived