MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

salsa getting sweet

Heather

Hi all, I made Annie's salsa, the waterbath version last year. I made 2 batches because it was so yummy. The problem is that as the year went on it lost it's heat and got very sweet. I'm not really sure what to do to fix this. I could put more hot peppers in it, but then it might be too hot to start out with.

Any insight?

Thanks

As flavors marinate over time, they kind of settle in. When I make my caesar salad dressing, it's always got a bite from the fresh garlic. After it sets in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so, it looses its bite as the flavors marinate. There are always minute taste differences because the lemons are sometimes more sour tasting than at other times, the garlic is hotter sometimes, etc. I've always looked at it as my recipe that is controlled by the whims of the ingredients it contains. I think it's a good thing.

Also, you can take 2 jalapeno peppers, and one will invariably be hotter than the other. I don't know of a way to control this when making it because that line of no return is a very dim line. I think that if you make your base recipe and know that you might hafta add a little heat when you open it, you'll be able to relax and enjoy the recipe.

Personally, I didn't add any sugar when I make it because I don't like a sweet salsa. Adding some acid (lemon juice, vinegar, etc) will help diminish the sweetness of it. But yes, as it cures over time, some flavors will intensify.

I cut down on the sugar in my last batch. The first one I added extra acid to cut down on the sweet taste. I, too, found it too sweet. Once you open it then you can add some more peppers to it. I sometimes use dried red chili. That seems to do it.

Archived