MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Blackberries

This has been the longest blackberry season I've ever seen here. Normally it runs about 2 weeks, but we are in the 4th week now. I guess because we got rain just when we needed it.

The children and I have been picking and picking and picking. We've battled briars, snakes, and the humid heat. By the sweat of our brow, we have finally gotten 124 qt bags for us and 15 to give away. That is 2 years plus 20 bags. I am thrilled!

My daughter and I picked a couple of quarts on Sunday and I made a batch of blackberry jam. Those were just the early ones, and there are thousands and thousands of blackberries waiting to ripen that we'll pick too. Mine are wild too.

I'm going to use the blackberries to make the preserves when we do that in a couple of weeks.

The wild blackberries have already come and gone in my area in Alabama. We picked a little more than 2 gallons and made 26 jars of jelly. For just the two of us, that will be enough for the year and we'll have some to give away as well. I can't imagine having 124 bags...I'm impressed! That's a lot of work.

Thanks...the whole family, including DaddyTiger, picked yesterday evening and the count is now 130 bags. But we are thru for the year. There's very little left...I may ask the dc to pick enough for a fresh cobbler tonight, but we are thru with blackberries.

We are also working on blueberries...I have 40 qts of those so far and my goal is 78, but to be truthful, I expect to get only about 52.

Archived