MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Saver ?

brendajo

I have never used a food saver before. Can someone walk me through sealing jars? Can I use regular canning jars with the two piece lids? Do I have to use the lids they sell?I was thinking about buying one but if you have to buy their lids doesn't that get a little expensive? Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

You use the canning jar lids just the flat part if you like the look you can use the ring after you seal the jar.The ring is not important in vacuum sealing foods.

If you have the wrong sized sealer attachement for your canning jar..fill the canning jar put the flat lid plus the ring on the jar tighten down as tight as you can (this is to keep the flat lid in its proper place) insert the canning jar into a foodsaver canister, vacuume the canister like you normaly would, wait a couple of sec. release the pressure on the canister you should see the lid of the jar sink in and sometimes hear the tell tell ping.

Ive resealed the gk's babyfood jars this way to help keep it fresh,gravy you buy in the glass containers at the grocery store some sphgetti jars,small pickel jars,store brought pizza sauce in glass jars. If a canning flat lid fits the jar thats even better it can be hard to get the lids that come with store brought food jars to take a seal.

The plastic lids on store brougt items dont work it has to be a metal lid with that little plastic kinda seal around the inside. Ok went to look at the lids of the reused condiment jars...most all have that popup circle thing you can push down on to make sure the jar has kept its seal.

I hope that helps.

Brendajo, you can buy just the flat lids without the ring. Much cheaper if you don't need the ring for canning. You don't use the ring with the foodsaver. They are usually Ball or Kerr lids. Foodsaver doesn't have their own lids. You use the lids that come with new canning jars so if you are buying new jars, the lids are included.

You will need either the foodsaver regular or wide mouth attachment. Most people go ahead and buy both.

Attach one end of the hose to the foodsaver unit and the other end to the jar attachment. You put the lid (without the ring) on top of the jar, put the big round attachment over the lid, lock the foodsaver, push the 'canister' button (if your unit has one), and it starts to suck the air out of the jar. When it is finished, the unit will shut off. Open the foodsaver unit and remove the attachment from the top of the jar. It should be sealed. Some of units don't have a canister button. In that case, use the unit like you do when using bags.

Sometimes, the regular size (not wide mouth) have a hard time sealing. In that case, Take 2 lids, put one on your jar the usual way, put the other lid upside down on top of the lid on your jar, (the two top of the lids together) and seal the usual way. The lid on the jar should seal and the top lid can be reused.

If I didn't explain it well, please ask.

Here is a pretty good video using the jar sealer. The audio is bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKglOqP5xA

Sometimes, the regular size (not wide mouth) have a hard time sealing. In that case, Take 2 lids, put one on your jar the usual way, put the other lid upside down on top of the lid on your jar, (the two top of the lids together) and seal the usual way. The lid on the jar should seal and the top lid can be reused.

Thanks for the info I never knew that.

Thank you so much for your help.The video was great. Now that I know how it works and that I can use the jars and lids that I already have it is going to be the next MUST HAVE on my list.You guys are the greatest.

Archived