MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Moors & Christians/Black Beans & Rice

Tracie

Moors and Christians Rice (White Rice and Black Beans): Moros y Cristianos

1/4 pound slab bacon, finely diced (more bacon is even better)

3 garlic cloves, finely minced or 3/8 tsp garlic powder

1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped

1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 teaspoon oregano

1 bay leaf

2 cups Uncle Bens/parboiled long grain rice

2 cans cooked black beans, (~ 1 cup dry, cooked until tender or 2 cups canned beans, drained and rinsed)

4 cups water

1 tablespoon vinegar

4 teaspoons vegetable soup base/or bullion

In a heavy-bottomed 4-quart pot, saute the diced bacon until golden brown. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Add the onion, green pepper, cumin, oregano and bay leaf to bacon grease. Saute, stirring for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir until all the grains are coated with bacon grease. Add the beans and the water, then add vinegar and bullion. Mix well, taste, and correct seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the rice slightly and add the reserved bacon bits. Remove from the heat and let stand, uncovered, at least 2 to 3 minutes before serving.

Now that sounds delicious, I'll need to try it, but first I'll have to cook the black beans.

Here's what I'm fixing to try tonight...with my mushrooms from Harmony House.

Wild Mushroom Polenta

1 cup yellow cornmeal (not self rising, not cornmeal mix)

1 T butter or margarine

Cooking spray

3 cups boiling water

1/4 c shredded fresh parmesan cheese

2 T chopped dried porcini mushrooms

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp dried thyme

Place cornmeal and butter in a slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Gradually add 3 cups boiling water, stirring contantly witha whisk until well blended. Stir in chhese and next 4 ingredients. Cove with lid and cook on low-heat setting 3 hours or until thick. Stir well before serving. Garnish with thyme sprigs if desired.

*NOTE I'm going to use sprinkle parmesan as I am trying to develop a recipe base that can use my basic preps...oh and the dried mushrooms that we got from harmony house...using them too.

Well, just in case anyone wanted to know about the polenta recipe. It was a very interesting adventure.

We had never heard of or tasted polenta. Now we have! smile

I found it tasty in a strange kind of way. One of my children said it tasted like grits with mushrooms in it! I thought it reminded me of cornbread dressing *in a broad sense. Dh said at first he thought it wasn't that bad. Surprise of all suprises, my nearly five year old ate the most and said it was yummy.

Anyone interested in Polenta should check this out. I'm going to do some more experimenting with it and try some of the other recipes. Apparently it's a great substitute for other staples, like rice, potatoes, etc.

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=227906

Polenta is also very tasty if you slice it and toss it on the grill (we use a little George Foreman in our kitchen). Of course, we used the storebought ready-made polenta, so you may need to refrigerate it or something first.

Ok, I'll admit right off the bat these are probably dumb questions - but I have to ask in order to learn, right?

What's the difference between 'cornmeal mush' and polenta?

What kind of cornmeal do I buy to make polenta? to make grits?

(and no, I don't have a grinder)

Thanks!!!

Archived