MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gluten-free grains - Storage

I posted back in April about going gluten-free and asking for ideas. ( http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post202352 )

I'm doing much better cooking. Cookies work much better when you put enough flour in them, no matter what kind of flour you're using, but my boyfriend likes the "cookie chips" that came out flat.

My next question is: How does storing GF grains compare to storing wheat? How well do grinders made for wheat work on rice, amaranth, millet, tapioca? Can one actually grow any of these in a backyard in large enough quantities to feed themselves? Is the rule on canning the same as with wheat flour (ie, don't thicken until you use it)?

Most of the GF grains will keep well if stored properly.

YOu could probably grow Amaranth and millet with no problem. Rice would be a bit harder. Can you eat corn? That is rather easy to grow.

My grinder does fine with the GF grains. I have a Whisper Mill.

Tapioca flour will be as cheap ground as the other forms. You probably wouldn't want to try to produce it yourself.

We use a lot of potatoes. Sweets grow really well in this area. Irish type potatoes grow well in the cooler months. I store a lot of the dry potato granules too. They keep very well.

I have the whisper mill also and the Lehman's Best (for hand cranked) I have ground oats and buckwheat into flour in each mill and have had no troubles with it.

Before I got my mills, I bought 50 pounds of buckwheat flour and stored it in individual bags inside two five gal buckets with oxygen absorbers. I used one bucket full in four months and every bag of flour was just fine. I just opened the other bucket a few days ago, which makes this flour 6 months old--and all is well with it, too.

Yes, the rules with adding oat, tapioca or other thickeners to home canned items applies same as wheat flour... Oats are pretty easy to grow. I understand that in New England, early settlers grew a lot of oats because it does well here. I don't know what grows in Texas!

Archived