MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Soy is bad?

DenimDaze

Apparently there is a new nutrition or health theory out there that I've missed. Anyone know what the heck this is about?

I thought soy was healthy. I drink soy milk because of my lactose intolerance, I use low sodium soy sauce occasionally and I am working on using some tvp into my chilis and such.

Soy is a staple in the orient. How the heck can soy be a health risk?

Originally Posted By: NYDebbie
Apparently there is a new nutrition or health theory out there that I've missed. Anyone know what the heck this is about?

I thought soy was healthy. I drink soy milk because of my lactose intolerance, I use low sodium soy sauce occasionally and I am working on using some tvp into my chilis and such.

Soy is a staple in the orient. How the heck can soy be a health risk?

The information has been out for several years. When soy is fermented into tofu it is apparently a different beast (pun intended) altogether. Almost all the soy we eat in North America is not fermented.

We switched from soy to almond milk in the past year and have cut back on the soy we consume. We used to eat it every day in the form of veggie burgers and the like, tvp and soy milk.

I agree that moderation is key and by eliminating soy milk and soy products I don't worry as much about the soy that is in other things like tamari soy sauce (which is fermented so I don't know what that means) and other prepared foods like crackers, mixes etc. HTH

Wow.

Thanks everyone. I'm very glad my New England fruality has kept me away from most of the things with hidden soy, and that my family is all meat lovers. Cooking from scratch and liking our meat has kept us on the low end of soy consumption.

I guess I'll be switching to lactaid for my coffee too. Oh well, if its in the house, I can bake with it, making my life a bit easier.

Darn it, there went tvp as an easy to store protein source. You can't really buy enough whey powder to feed six. I am going to end up home canning meat, unless I want to live on tuna and spam in an emergency, there seems to be no way around it.

but I think you were on the right track with moderation. Even though large quantities aren't safe, nobody seems to think 1 serving a day is a problem.

As you said, they've been eating soy in the orient for thousands of years. The key is smaller portion sizes and keeping it more natural (or fermented). I don't worry at all about soy sauce, I occasionally eat tofu and I will use TVP. I just don't do more than one serving a day.

yes,

'everything in moderation'

should be the golden rule of nutrition. All the problems seem to arise from eating either too much or nothing at all of certain foods.

Remember the poor women eating no fats? They did terrible things to their bodies. Even an occasional glass of wine or beer can be good for you, from what I've read.

Archived