MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

English Muffins

OldMaineBear

• 4 weeks later...

I got one I'll share..if I can figure out how to do it the easy way and just move it outa y file over to here. Wish me luck. smile

English muffins

1 ½ tsp yeast

1 c water

2 c. flour

1 T butter, softened

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

¼ cornmeal

Oil or veg. shortening

Dissolve yeast in water and allow to proof until foamy.. Add flour, butter sugar and salt. Knead until well blended. Shape into a ball, place into a greased bowl, turning to coat and allow to rise, covered, until doubled. Gently punch down and divide into 12 equal pieces and shape into rounds. Dust cookie sheets heavily with cornmeal, turning so each side is coated. Cover and let rise slightly for about 30 min. Preheat griddle over med heat and brush with oil. Cook muffins until lightly browned before turning. Turn and continue to cook until golden . Toast before serving.

Whoo-hoo I did it! Yay fer me!

I fallowed the recipe I posted but substituted SD starter for the water and omitted the yeast. The results were very sour doughy. I think in the future, I'll use 1/2 c starter and 1/2c warm water, altho that might slow my rise time. Oh yeah, since I got a late start on my rise the other day, i made my muffins and laid them out on a cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, covered them and popped them into the refridgerator over night, then cooked them in the morning. They came out nice and fluffy.

Archived