MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Green asparagus soup

I had some at a restraunt the other week and it was AWESOME. Anyone have any recipes? I have never cooked asparagus before and I had not even eaten it before i had that soup, so any recipes for it would be greatly appreciated. especially the soup. :P

it was kinda creamy, it was served with some saute'd veggies and a dollop of sour cream in the centre.

Here is my favorite Asparagus soup recipe--which I modify to not contain chicken broth (I use turkey) and instead of chicken bouillon powder I add corn-free dry onion soup powder due to my allergies...but here it is as it was originally given to me. And, I add powdered non-dairy milk and plain soy milk to this for a creamy taste instead of the cream--and bette hagman mix flour instead of wheat flour)

Makes six servings.

1/4 cup margarine

1 onion

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

4 cups water

1 10.5 ounce can of condensed chicken broth'4 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder'1 potato, peeled and diced'1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped

3/4 cup half-and-half

1 Tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Melt butter or margarine in heavy cooking pot. Add onions and chopped celery. Saute until tender, about four minutes. Stir in flour, mixing well. Cook for about one minute, stirring constantly. Do not burn or let it go lulmpy. Add water, chicken broth, and chicken soup base. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Add diced potatoes and chopped asparagus. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Puree soup in a food blender, in batches --leave a LOT of head space for hot stuff in blenders!! Return to pot.

Stir in half and half cream, soy sauce and black and white pepper. Bring soup just to a boil. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Now..I like serve this soup with toasted sesame seeds sprinkled on top. I lightly toast them in a cast iron skillet and sprinkle liberally on top. My family cannot get enough of this soup.

I like to make asparagus cutlets with the tips-- then I trim the ends of the thicker portion of the stalk, and dice them up to use for the soup. This way, there is no waste from that pound of asparagus. The asparagus cutlets would be another post...LOL my Dad's recipe.

Thanks! I will try it for lunch tomorrow! Sounds yummi!

Archived