MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help! How do I use Fleischmann's Instant Dry Yeast?

I have two pounds of it. It didn't occur to me when I purchased it that how it is used may vary from the normal little three packs of yeast I've always used.

So far here's what I've found (although I am still thouroughly confused.)

*That it is supposed to be mixed directly in with the flour instead of having to be put into water first.

*That you are supposed to "add additional water equal to 2 times amount of instant yeast used." Ok - that's like reading Greek to me.

*That you don't have to do two risings - you can get by with only one? Is that true?

I have some recipes I really want to get to, but I've got to have the yeast to do it. And I do *have* it but I don't have the foggiest *how* to use it! Is it really that different from those little three packs?

Also, I've had it stored in my freezer for a while. That' ok isn't it? I hope that didn't hurt it.

Help!

I did a search and came up with this Perhaps this info will be helpful . . .

From The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart, p. 32:

Instant yeast is "more concentrated than fresh or active dry yeast . . . There are about 25 percent more living yeast cells per teaspoon than in an equal amount of active dry yeast, and there are three times (300 percent) more living cells than in an equal amount of fresh compressed yeast. . . It is the number of viable cells, along with the temperature and dough environment . . . that determines the rate of fermentation."

On p. 60 of the same book, Reinhart says:

"100 percent fresh yeast = 40 to 50 percent active dry yeast = 33 percent instant yeast"

P. 61:

"Instant yeast contains about 25 percent more living yeast cells per spoonful than active dry yeast, regardless of the brand . . . This is the reason why you need less of it than active dry."

On p. 15 of Reinhart's book Crust & Crumb, he has a conversion chart showing how to substitute one kind of yeast for another kind. According to his chart, if a recipe calls for 1 T of fresh yeast, you would use 1.25 t of active dry yeast or 1 t of instant yeast. If a recipe calls for 1 oz of fresh yeast, you'd use 0.4 oz of active dry yeast or 0.33 oz of instant yeast.

He also says on this same page:

"The master formulas generally call for instant yeast, but any yeast will work if you make the proper substitution."

Then, he gives the following conversion examples:

* Multiply the amount of instant yeast by 3 for the equivalent amount of fresh yeast.

* Multiply the amount of active dry yeast by 2.5 for the equivalent amount of fresh yeast.

* Multiply the amount of instant yeast by 1.25 for the equivalent of active dry yeast. >>>

I usually use active dry yeast...so I don't have experience with this. But I think that book is pretty authoritative--so give it a whirl!

Ok, let me see if I'm thinking this through the right way. Since most recipes are written for active dry I will need to convert from active dry to instant dry. In order to covert the measurements to those for instant I would need to divide the amount given of active dry by 1.25 to get the measurement for instant? So if it calls for 2 tsp. active dry then I would need to use 1.6 tsp of instant.

Heavens to Betsy...trying to figure out what .6 of a tsp looks like should be interesting...

As it happens, we were just taking about some of this in an earlier thread.

Question about yeast types

I wouldn't worry about *exactly* .6 teaspoons... I would just use a teaspoon and a "scant"... just a bit less. Or just 2 whole teaspoons.

Quote:
That it is supposed to be mixed directly in with the flour instead of having to be put into water first.

I use it as the *recipe* calls for it, wet or dry. I've never had any problems with it either way.

Quote:
That you are supposed to "add additional water equal to 2 times amount of instant yeast used." Ok - that's like reading Greek to me.

Again, I just throw in a *bit* more... don't stress out over it.

Quote:
That you don't have to do two risings - you can get by with only one? Is that true?

Yup, but I go ahead and do it as the recipe calls for. If I were in a hurry, I *could* get by, but I prefer the second rising, which I feel gives a better product, if the recipe calls for it.

You'll find that it's not something that is absolutely critical. You could do it by the recipe once, and then by the yeast directions the next, and see which you like better. But bear in mind that just the humidity of your kitchen and the heat or cold will affect it.

If you've used the 3-packs, you'll know by experience eventually what you like and how much to use.

bighug

Archived