MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What 'breakfast foods' do you store?

I use powdered peanut butter.. I prefer it reconstituted with oil! oil is in my freezer.

Walton feed is where I got mine.

for breakfast...

pie! you can use canned fruit for pie filling, just drain juice and reserve. Put a little juice in a pan with a thickener. heat and thicken juice. or sprinkle a little flour over fruit and it will thicken on its own. the rest of the reserved fruit juice? mix with water and drink!

you can have fun with pie crusts.. besides the top and bottom, your top can be woven, or cut leaves out and place around edge.. get creative! to attach dip your fingers in water and rub a little on the edge of the dough to be attached, press in.

a solid crust needs slits cut in to let steam escape. I have pie birds! look it up! LOL!

left over pie crust? make extra...

roll out dough... sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, a little butter pieces or oil drizzled around..not a lot. Add raisins and or chopped nuts, dehydrated fruit??? and roll up! a dab of water on the edge and sort of press together.

roll out dough, cut into squares, place a spoonful of jam on one half (triangle or square or round even), sprinkle with a little flour, dab a little water on one edge, fold and press with fork or fingers. bake. make a couple of slits, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. <-- old fashioned pop tarts!

Cake!

make cakes. has everything a pancake has! cupcakes are also fun.

sweet breads or muffins.. banana, blueberry any dehydrated and or rehydrated fruits.

Freeze dried pork chops ? I like Freeze Dry Guy, for these: They need to be RE-hydrated for an hour or so. then cooked ( well). They sell COOKED crumbled ground beef, cubed chicken, Ect.. I like their price on the chops: RE-hydrating these in buttermilk, ( whole or powdered) helps them soften-tenderize and thus be more susceptible to good RE-hydration.

But emergency food: Ok, powdered gravies, Cheeses, Milk, whey, and-naturally flours, oil ( five gallons, in 5 or 10 dark class bottles, -or stored in the dark). Powdered eggs, sour cream, freeze dried whole fruit, & slices, and cubes, and powdered. ( more desert choices that way. ) Dehydrated vegetable, and freeze dried vegies. Honey lasts forever!!!!!

Many places sell 3 month stores of food, and 6 months worth, then 1 years supplies, ( and more).

They sell, breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, snacks......... all separately & as a “days ” need. ( 3 meals)

If you invest this way, make SURE you use as you go, ( mixing your day to day foods, along with the STORES of food, according to meals, or food types----- stretching what you use daily with the stores,) But replacing what STORES you use....so they don’t go bad ( perchance) You & hubby will be fine! ! ! !

I mix my left over day-to-day meals, which I dehydrate for latter, with my long term food stores, and my bulk foods ( fit both categories). About ½ of my fresh fruits, i dehydrate and my vegies too. MRE’s are too expensive for me, so I make my own ( but dehydrate) and I purchase some freeze dried foods . I store ( and use) powdered butter, good in baking, so is freeze dried sour cream.

I cycle threw my frozen foods, dehydrating the vegetable, ( after cooking a whole bag, part for a meal and part to dehydrate), just to keep my “dry” stores UP. The same thing for Some frozen fruits. I like Raspberry Vinegarate dressing, making my own with balsamic vinegar, brown sugar & garlic, ( a way to save SOME raspberries, neither dry not freeze dried, nor cold frozen. We can become VERY creative even on a limited budget such as mine. I so store caned foods, some of which as they near expiration, I dehyrdrate and use SOON. ( this extends their “shelf-life” a LITTLE.. Backpackers tell me they store dehydrated formerly canned vegies, for up to a year!

I stick "notes" in some of my foods as "reminders" of ideas I sometimes get, and other choices, recipes, etc....( in case I loos my cook-books)

There are many choices, and options. I buy whole grains but not flours, ( except High Gluten & bread flours which are better for breads). You or another may choose to buy bulk flours instead. I have a hand operated grain mill, and an electric. If I thought they were to be some longer term electric loss-shortage, I’d also get a generator, of some type, wind, gas, etc, to run my electric mill with, ( and maybe other things too)...

Friend I hope this may in some small way help.,,, smile!

Archived