MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What 'breakfast foods' do you store?

Originally Posted By: FlaGal
I have a very picky hubby - doesn't like oatmeal or pancakes. So I'm looking for other ideas for breakfast foods to store.

Thanks!

Grits
cream of wheat
powdered eggs
dry cereal (not much because we really don't eat cereal but I do have a few boxes.)

My crew likes biscuits and gravy and hashbrowns, they like waffles as well as pancakes.

Muffins are also big at my house so I am stocking dried fruit.

Tea and muffins

French toast

Waffles on Demand

Eggs, meat & toast

Crepes (good use for milk & fruit)

dutch babies (puffed pancakes in cast iron)

Polenta with cream & cinnamon

Bob's Red Mill Multi-grain breakfast cereal

Rice with milk, raisins, crans, & cinnamon/spice

PBJ on toast

PB on muffins, bread, etc.

Cocoa, tea, milk, juice

Eggs are always good...

These are favorites here...hope this helps!

Barley to make barley flour for bannock cakes

ingredients and recipes to make muffins out of any kind of flour available

oat groats..run through the mill, they are steel cut oats, better than oatmeal, more substance and good cooked up with fruit

rice

scones

Some folks in my family like sandwiches for breakfast

We are huge pancake fans here--pancakes made of buckwheat the top favorite followed by oat pancakes, rice flour pancakes, ...etc

I make wheat free bisquick mix and then can make quick drop biscuits. Sometimes we make fruit cobbler with those for breakfast using fruit I canned.

We store number 10 cans of powdered scrambled egg mix, I store bags of bacon crumbles that are sold at Costco and that have a one year use by date so we can flavor powdered egg dishes with real bacon.

You can make quiche with those powdered eggs, too.

We make home made bagels, another favorite at my house.

We don't store dry cereal. We make our own granola instead. We love the steel cut oats and we also like cooked rice and barley as cereal. We are trying to avoid spending big bucks on cereals and have weaned ourselves off of them. ( Well I'm allergic to all of them that contain corn and wheat, which leaves rice chex the only remaining brand-name cereal I could eat...)

Daughter likes to have pasta for breakfast.

In SHTF situation, breakfast may be redefined. Might as well learn to like whole grains now...

Peanut butter sandwiches or pop-tarts. rollingeyes

I suggest you stock the peanut butter powder.

Also on recipelink.com I found

Pop Tarts

1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Vegetable shortening
2 Eggs
2 1/2 c All purpose flour
2 ts Baking powder

FILLING
any flavor jam, preserves, or fruit butter
1 Egg white; beaten with 1 Tbsp milk
sugar for sprinkling on top

Cream together sugar and crisco, beating until light. Beat in eggs until creamy, then stir in flour and baking powder to make soft dough. Divide dough evenly into 16 parts. Roll each part into a flattened ball and set aside on a plate. Wrap plate in plastic wrap and refrigerate two hours.

Grease cookie sheet and set aside.

Roll 1 ball dough into a rectangle about 1/16" thick. Spread 1 heaping teaspoon of filling evenly over dough leaving a generous margin. Roll out another ball into similar shape and lay it neatly over the first. Using sharp knife, trim the tart to approximately 3 1/2"x5" and crimp edge with fingertips or tines of fork. Place tart on cookie sheet and prick top with fork.

Optional--lightly beat egg white with milk; brush tops of tarts and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.

Bake 350 for 25 mins, until edges are browned. Prick again during first 10 mins of baking keep them flat. Cool, wrap, and store at room temp or frigerator. Tarts may also be iced.

Thanks for the recipe! That might be more tasty than the ones you buy.

Peanut butter powder? Would you reconstitute with water or oil?

Where do you recommend purchasing this? Thank you again!

Peanut butter powder? Would you reconstitute with water or oil?
Where do you recommend purchasing this? Thank you again!

I haven't used it but I believe Darlene has used it. I would think you would use water but maybe 3/4 water and 1/4 oil to make it creamier.

Emergency Essentials has it I am sure there are other places that have it.

I grind my own, cream of rice, ( including wild rice, sometimes) using my flour mill. I do buy 7-grain hot cereal, but also course grind my own version. Steel-cut oats, ( because the flavor is better, and is something to chew on). I buy an Ethiopian grain called TEFF, it boils for ½ hour, I get a South American Grain, Qunoia ( Keen-wha), boils for halk an hour, & Aramanth also ½ hour boiling. I find MILLET ( whole or cracked) is a good hot breakfast, cook 20 minuets. Millet reminds me of sweet corn. Rye is a Good “different” hot cereal.

All of these grains, I soak over night first. Some nights I roast first for five (5) minutes or so, then soak. I do not add salt to ANY boiling water, because UN-salted water makes for a creamer hot cereal, I salt after cooking.

Occasionally, I sprout beans, several varieties, for 3 days, then cook over night in a slow cooker, and have these beans for breakfast....... ( way less gas that a way too). Makes a good any time meal also! Dehydrated fruit is a good addition to a hot cereal!

I store Buckwheat flour: Pancakes plane & buttermilk, Biscuits buttermilk & plane, Freeze dried cheeses ( and sour cream) for adding to scrambled eggs-omelets. Dehydrated peppers, tomatoes and fruits all to add to a meal.

I have 4 kinds of wheat, Prairie Gold, Dakota Bronze, Farina and Kamut ( Egyptian wheat- naturally butter & nutty— yumm ), all to “crack” and cook as a hot cereal. Corn too!

I store flour, powdered eggs,frozen eggs, eggs stored in my basement, dry milk, canned milk, frozen butter, shortening, oil, powdered butter, grits, ralston. oatmeal, cream of wheat, chocolate cream of wheat, bran, oat bran, cornmeal, bacon, corned beef hash, potatoes, rice, boxed cereals.

With these I make bacon and eggs (omelets, scrambled, over easy, poached), coffeecakes, biscuits, scones, muffins, hot and cold cereals, pancakes and waffles, corned beef hash.

Kevin - I'm definitely going to have to try some of those grains on him. I understand why he doesn't like oatmeal (the mucus-like quality of it grosses him out) but maybe he'd like some of the others. Thanks.

Staceyy - those are things he definitely likes! What kind of powdered eggs do you use? Frozen eggs? Like eggbeaters kind? I do store roast beef hash, have you tried that? I like it better than the corned beef hash. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the ideas - now I have some new things for him to try!

FlaGal,

Next time you have rice for dinner, set some aside and let DH try it with a some milk and a little sugar. Warm or cold, it is good.

A sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg makes it taste like rice pudding.

If he'll eat the rice this way, it's a good bet you could serve other cooked whole grains to him the same way.

smile

Staceyy - those are things he definitely likes! What kind of powdered eggs do you use? Frozen eggs? Like eggbeaters kind? I do store roast beef hash, have you tried that? I like it better than the corned beef hash. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the ideas - now I have some new things for him to try!

I buy my powdered eggs from Emergency Essentials at http://www.beprepared.com. I buy fresh eggs in bulk when they are on sale and freeze them. There is a thread somewhere in these forums as to how to do this. I have not tried roast beef hash, I'll have to be on the lookout for it.

FlaGal, your husband eats like my family. Can you get a couple chickens for eggs?

I keep all the baking supplies so I can make a lot of the stuff that Stacey mentioned. We have eggs on hand so we can do an egg breakfast. Keep bread in the house for toast. Maybe you can get a grain mill for grinding peanuts to make your own peanut butter. Peanuts should be fairly easy to store.

Will he eat fruit butters, like apple or pear butter on toast? Easy to find and can those.

Also, would he like yogurt? Mine do that fine, and you can make yogurt at home. There's a great recipe for Grapenuts in the cookbook...um, what's it called...the Mennonite one...More With Less? Anyway, we use that one, and it is much better than store bought grapenuts, and they like it with yogurt or milk. Store it like a dry cereal.

What else? Mine are basically eggs or peanut butter toast or toast with Orange Julius or yogurt plain or with Grapenuts kind of folks. Oh yes, and french toast. So I know where you are coming from. Baked goods are great to learn to make the night before so you can pop it in the oven in the morning and have something hot for him on a winter's morning.

Oh wait. You live in Florida. You don't have winter. rofl

You're right, we don't have winters really (and I miss them - usually)....but I think that will be a blessing this year, eh? I'm worried about family in northern states, but they seem to be as prepared as possible....

Mostly I was thinking if/when we lose power, what to have stored to have for breakfasts. I can bake and cook breakfasts fine for him now, but if TSHTF I was wondering what foods to stock up on that wouldn't require any cooking, other than maybe some hot water (which I could do on the grill, or propane stove, or even canned heat).

Everyone has come through with a lot of good ideas, and I've started a discussion with him about this; he's in the same mindset so we should figure out something soon. Thank you ladies for all your help! I love this list - it's the best resource on the web! rocks

FlaGal, your husband eats like my family. Can you get a couple chickens for eggs?

No, unfortunately the suburb I live in has banned all livestock and animals other than cats and dogs. I looked into this early this year in the hope of maybe getting a couple of goats, but settled for stocking up on powdered milk. shrug

To whom-ever asked about frozen eggs:::

http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/freezin.

Enjoy ! ! !

Also, I find precooked ready to serve bacon can be a life saver in a morning rush. But I miss saving the drippings, which I use in many things, mostly to brown deer steaks before turning the temp down to cook then slower.

Anyway, enjoy, nice meeting you your cyber selves! ! !

Sometimes, when I “feel like” having a Mc donald style mc-muffin, ( and I CAN NOT afford them) I take an EMPTY tuna-fish can, both ends opened, place on my griddle, pour in scrabbled eggs, and cook a sausage patty or maybr bacon- ham, etc, toast an English muffin, ( or cut a croissant) , cut a slice of cheddar,

and whalliah, a Kevin-mc-muffin—.....

Maybe your hubby will like that ???

Just to clarify - I was asking about breakfasts to have in case of power loss and general collapse of civilization and normalcy, not everyday breakfasts.

Thanks for the creative solutions!

Archived