MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning jalapenos...Need pepper sauce recipe

Shandy

hi, Shurleen. I do make a jalepeno sauce that I keep in the fridge and it lasts for a long long time, by putting my canned jalapenos in the blender, along with some of their vinegar and extra garlic...I keep it in a quart jar with a plastic lid...

and it is so good on grilled chicken!...but i, too, would be interested in hearing from anyone with a genuine, safe recipe for canning jalapeno sauce...

This also has tomatoes. That is part of what makes the acidity high enough to be able to process in a BWB.

HOT PEPPER SAUCE

Makes about 5 pint jars

3 pounds hot peppers* (for example, Anaheim, Hungarian, Jalapenos)

1/3 cup minced garlic

4 cups sliced onion (about 2 medium as bought)

1/3 cup stemmed, chopped cilantro

3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes

3 cups cider vinegar (5%)

21/2 cups water

*Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

Wash and rinse pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

Wash, trim and slice peppers and onions into rings, using a mandolin slicer or a food processor.

In a 10-quart Dutch oven or stockpot, mix together all ingredients. Bring to a boil and boil 1 hour. Reduce heat slightly and simmer 1 additional hour. Turn heat off, and cool mixture slightly.

Puree vegetables in a blender about 2 minutes per blender batch. Return pureed mixture to stockpot and bring carefully just to a boil. (The mixture will start to spatter as it gets close to boiling; heat slowly while stirring constantly, being careful not to get burned by splashing sauce.) Turn off heat.

Fill hot sauce into hot, clean pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.

Process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations in Table 1. Let cool, undisturbed, 12 to 24 hours and check for seals.

NOTES:

This is a very hot sauce. Some suggested uses include:

- Add a small amount to a soup to give it a "spicy-hot" bite.

- Stir a small amount into vegetable dishes to give them an extra "zing."

- Pep up your cheese dip with a small amount to make it a "hot" item.

- Add some to that pot of chili you're cooking up – make it fiery!

- Use pints or half pints, process 10 min. in a boiling water bath canner.

Here's something I found...do I have to peel the peppers before canning? Why?

CANNING PEPPERS, HOT OR SWEET (including chiles, jalapeno and pimiento)

Quantity: An average of 9 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 25 pounds and yields 20 to 30 pints — an average of 1 pound per pint.

Quality: Select firm yellow, green or red peppers. Do not use soft or diseased peppers.

Procedure: Select your favorite pepper(s). CAUTION: If you choose hot peppers, wear plastic gloves while handling them or wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face. Small peppers may be left whole. Large peppers may be quartered. Remove cores and seeds. Slash two or four slits in each pepper, and either blanch in boiling water or blister using one of the following methods:

Oven or Broiler Method : Place peppers in a hot oven (400 °F) or broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-Top Method: Cover hot burner, either gas or electric, with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister. Allow peppers to cool. Place in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. This will make peeling the peppers easier. After several minutes, peel each pepper.

Flatten whole peppers. Add ½ teaspoon of salt to each pint jar, if desired. Fill jars loosely with peppers and add fresh boiled water, leaving 1-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims.

Adjust lids and process pints in a weighted gauge canner at 10 pounds pressure or in a dial gauge canner at 11 pounds pressure for 35 minutes.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3300.htm

Ladybug, I found a lot of those online at extension services of different universities. Just type in "pickled canning jalapenos extension" and you will get many extension service recipes. I'd post some here, but most of them seem to be in doc. and I don't know how to manipulate those things.

You could use fresh tomatoes, but dice and cook them first, then measure them. Be sure to not make them too dense, though. I mean by squishing them in the measuring cup.

No, you don't have to peel the peppers. It is because the peels can be more tough. Many people also like that roasted flavor that they get when you blister them.

You can find recipes for most things at the National Center for Home Food Preservation, Bealady. There is a pickled jalapeno recipe and also a marinated pepper recipe that is really popular.

http://128.192.83.157/faq/FAQ_home.php

Archived