MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

regulating the temperature of a dehydrator

kathy003

I am using my dehydrator for the first time today and have a question. I am dehydrating banana's and my book says to dehydrate at 130-135 degree's.

When i check the temperature with my thermometer in the dehyrator it reads 140-145. Now, the top of my dehydrator has slots on the top to regulate the temp. Even with the small plastic cover off, the temp is still not below 140.

What am i doing wrong, any suggestions?

Sorry to ask more questions, but to help me understand, please share:

What brand of dehydrator do you have?

Is this something you can deal with just by turning down the temp?

What sort of thermometer are you using?

Hi, thanks for answering. I have been educating myself on dehydrators throughout the day on this forum.

I have a Ronco 7 tray dehydrator. It does not have a temperature control setting on it. Apparently you control the temperature through the holes in the top of it. To get a higher temp I cover some of the holes, to get a smaller temperature i uncover some of the holes.

I am using a meat thermometer.

This dehydrator also does not have a fan to circulate the air inside it.

So, after much enjoyable reading ( no sarcasm intended), I think I am going to continue to use this dehydrator to dry fruits, but no jerky since the drying process is so slow.

I think I also might look into getting a brand called The American Harvester, with a fan and a temperature control setting - my husband is dying for me to try jerky, but from what i read today i don't want to try it in this kind.

Does it sound like I am on the right track?

Oh sweetie, I just threw away a RONCO (several of the canning ladies refer to them as ron-crap). It was my grandfather's and it took him 4 days to do jerky. Fruits also took 3-4 times the normal drying time. So not safe!

You want to look for 3 things in a dehydrator: a fan, a adjustable thermostat, and an opaque color like white (for light issues).

If you've been reading the postings on MrsS, you'll find that the Ronco doesn't have a thermostat or a fan...basically it's a disaster waiting to happen. I'd visit all the websites to dehydrators that I could and research them ALL...and then make the choice that is right for my budget.

I personally am very pleased with the Excalibur...the trays really don't need rotating and I can set it and walk away. The new Excaliburs have a timer for shut-off time.

Many ladies have an American Harvest and they like them, they are affordable and many stores have them.

Personally, I'd rather save $30 more and get the supreme King of Dehydrators, the Excalibur.

Just my humble opinion. smile

I have the American Harvester and didn't realize dehydrators came with a dial for temp setting blush. This one doesn't but seems to work fine and has strong fan. Have never thought to use thermometer and things seemed to dry in reasonable time. Wow, I may have been doing this wrong all along.

Kathy,

That is the bad thing about Ronco. The foods can spoil before they dry.

I have had an American Harvest for years. Well, actually I have 2 of them. Never a problem.

Now they are normally sold under the name Nesco.

Granny, I have never seen an American Harvest that didn't have a temperature dial on it.

Mine is at the bottom, on the side. Mine are old. More than 15 years for sure.

Oooohhh! I'm so happy for you! Such a good purchase! I've been using my mom's that she bought in the early 80's. You can still get parts and the thing runs as good as it did then.

You must post again when you get it and after you've dried something so that we can all share your joy! smile

Kathy, I am glad for you ! That really is a very good dehydrator.

Granny, I guess I do remember the snackmaster models. Mine are some other model, I guess. At least yours has a fan, which is really important.

Those Ronco ones don't even have a fan, just a little element in the bottom.

Archived